Beer in kegs that were used for Kombucha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer in kegs that were used for Kombucha

I have an opportunity to but several kegs locally that were bought new and used for Kombucha. They have been sitting empty for about 1 year. The current owner has removed and boiled the spears to kill off any SCOBY bugs but his product has previously tested positive for Brett. Does it seem like a safe bet to use these kegs for beer (non sour) if we give them an extra long caustic cleaning and sani cycle?

I'd be tempted to clean a batch of kegs, drop and clean out the keg cleaning tanks and pipework, make up with a fresh set of solutions and then re-clean the kegs. If you are using hot (circa 60 deg C) caustic and appropriate strength sanitiser, then I wouldn't expect a problem after this. If you have problems, you are likely to also be having problems with a single clean on your "normal" kegs.
    dick

Comment

I would be inclined to do a double wash as Dick suggests, but I would also plate on agar and incubate to see if I had concerning growth. In this case, acetobacter plates would be my main focus.

It is a good idea to plate on multiple agar for microbial concerns to verify your procedures.

I would still pull a spear or two out of the lot and visually inspect for mineral deposits. If deposits are found, I would run a scale removing solution in the wash cycle. Once it passes visual and microbial checks, then I’d put beer in them.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. We ended up passing on the kegs just to be safe. It seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

Comment

Working...
        X