X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg Couplers During Carbonation

Hello everyone!

First time post on here, so please be kind

I've just recently moved into the world of commercial kegs, and had a couple of questions:

1. When carbonating, do I leave the sankey coupler (gas in) connected the whole time, or simply pressurise to my desired pressure, disconnect and leave for several days?
    2. If it's the former, do you simply need to buy lots of keg couplers to have several kegs connected at the same time or am I missing something? I appreciate you can have a single gas bottle and regulator connected to a manifold, but it seems a bit OTT to have to buy lots of couplers...

Cheers,

Kurt

My method to carbonate a beer in a keg: Pressurize the keg to 30 psi and leave hooked up for about 24 hours at 38 F. You will need to leave it hooked up to CO2 because the CO2 is continuing to be absorbed by the beer. So you will need a manifold, and a coupler for each keg.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Ihall,
      How much headspace if any do you leave with your method?

Comment

Thanks Linus,

One of my kegged beers is a pale ale, and one is a lager. Ideally, I'd like a higher carbonation in the lager. Presumably, leaving the lager for a couple of days would lead to an increase in co2 absorbed, and therefore more carbonation?

Once carbonated, would you leave cold stored with no connector? I was planning on storing the lager at 0-2degC for 4-6 weeks to lager in the keg, and the pale at around 10degC, alongside my cask ale.

Cheers,

Kurt

Comment

I used to have 12 couplers to keep up with the amount of beer i needed carbonated. Then I bought the Blichmann QuickCarb. Best $180 I ever spent. https://www.morebeer.com/products/bl...hoCdy0QAvD_BwE

Comment

An easier way to do it would be an inline carbonation system. QuantiPerm makes the Ultra Mini Carbonation system. You can carbonate on the fly while filling your kegs and you don't need additional couplers. You would only need a way to measure carbonation in your keg post fill.

More information on the systems here:
            https://quantiperm.com/quantiperm-products/carbonation-frementation-brewing/
            Mechanical Engineer, QuantiPerm
            www.quantiperm.com

Comment

Working...
            X