Bagged malt storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bagged malt storage

I've mentioned this in another thread, but didn't get any real feedback from Cargill. I'm basically trying to determine where to store my bagged (unmilled) malt and am wondering if such a facility needs to be any of these:

heated (to prevent moisture in malt from freezing/unfreezing, thus cracking malt)
    cooled (to prevent staling in summer)
    humidity controlled (to prevent staling/moisture pickup)

Cargill or anyone else have a comment, or better yet, a paper or article I can read about this?

It's food product, so store it as such. Heat will stale it, freezing isn't great but not as bad. I wouln't stress about moisture control, but I also wouldn't store it someplace at all wet.
    Larry Horwitz

Comment

I have not seen anything written extensively on malt storage as there are so many different options, from bagged to supersack to silo.

These would be my considerations for bagged malt storage. These are listed in order of importance.

- Sparks. You don't want a dust explosion!! All electrical outlets should be built accordingly.
      - Moisture. Keep the malt dry. Some air moisture isn't a significant factor.
      - Critters. Large and small critters, such a weavil bugs and mice, should be shut out and continually inspected for in a malt storage area. Cleaning and reducing dust is most important.
      - Tempurature. Keeping malt cool is wonderfull if you have the refrigeration capacity to do so. 40-70 F if possible.
      - Malt turnover. You should have a 2 - 3 week turnover on the malt.
      - Delivery. This is an important factor which goes overlooked in planning. Remember that grain handling is labor intensive. You want a grain handling system for delivery into the brewery and from storage into the milling area. Sometimes these areas are meant for both storage and milling. It is also important to consider your spent grain removal. This should be well planned for ease and turnover, if your system is multi-turning(batching).

- Todd
      Todd Malloy
      Director of Brewing
      Glenwood Canyon Brewing Co.
      Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Comment

like pretty much any food stuffs tthats perishable,keep it cool and dry. - common sense really?

oh, and try and use it fast, dont let it sit about too long
        GeorgeJ
        Head Brewer - TDM 1874 Brewery.
        Yokohama, Japan.

Comment

sorry to dig up an old thread... but working on brewery layout now and this question came up.

i was considering storing our excess (unopened bagged) malt in the generously sized fermentation room because we plan on keeping the entire room at 60 degrees.

however, upon reflection, i was thinking maybe this wasn't a good idea.

would this introduce an infection risk to the fermenters?

i wouldn't be milling in the fermentation room (obviously). the room would simply be used to store unopened bags of malt.

thanks for the info!

Comment

fermentation room

I think there is at least some level of worry about micro-contamination. A bigger worry would be the likelihood of elevated amounts of moisture in that area
            Steve Bradt
            Regional Sales Manager
            Micro-Matic Packaging Division
            Eastern United States and Canada
            sbradt@micro-matic.com
            785-766-1921

Comment

Working...
            X