Locally farmed malt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locally farmed malt

This is a great little service you have here.
    I've been a professional brewer for seven years and about two years ago a local farmer approached us about malting his own barley. We loaned him our copy of Malting & Brewing Sciences and he did the rest. Now, two years later, we have his first sample of malt. It is of six-row Robust variety and it sounds like he did everything by the book.

Unfortunately all the trials I've made on the malt come up with zilch. I've done nothing more intricate than single infusion mashing (10 lbs./5 gals.) for times of 1/2 hr./ 1 hr./ 3hrs. and overnight and still come up with gravities no higher than 1.016 and a negative iodine test. The malt has been stored cool and dry and is only about eight months old.
    My Questions (if you have the time) are as follows:

1) Can something go horribly awry in the malting process to destroy a malt?

2) Are there any other tests I can perform to determine the conversion ability of the malt?

3) Are there any independent agencies that are available to perform a malt analysis?

Any feedback you may have would be appreciated.

It sounds like the barley to malt enzmyes were either destroyed in the malting process or they were never properly developed.

If you are getting a negative iodine reading, I would guess that your "malt" is still barley.

The Siebel Institute, phone 773-279-0966, would be an excellent resource to have your malt tested for alpha and beta levels.

Comment

Working...
    X