Potentially over engineered system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potentially over engineered system

I'm in the process of opening a nano-brewery, and I have the opportunity to obtain a 7BBL system (brew house / fermentors / brites) at a pretty good price.

I think I really only need about a 3BBL system for my smallish town, and I'm curious if I do 1/2 batches on that (which it can do) can I also just fill a 7BBL FV 1/2 way?

I realize I probably want a smaller BT so I'm not wasting C02, but will loading 1/2 a FV work? I keep hearing people say they wish they went bigger in the beginning, so I'm struggling with whether or not to go essentially 2x what I was initially thinking.

Thoughts?

Go for it. Whether you can ferment half batches properly depends on where your jackets are. If they lie below the surface of your fermenting wort, then you should be all set. It also helps to have sample valves below the 1/2 FV level. I like sample valves at 10% of FV. You will not waste CO2 if you keep your BBT closed and CIP under pressure. There is no need to tear down the BBT every use, clean, and then purge. Again, if your equipment is of average quality, then you should be fine. I'd go for it!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

JonathanPWheat What is the heating method of the brewhouse? If it is steam-heated, makes sure the a half-full kettle fully covers the steam jacket. Same is true if it is electrically heated - make certain that the heating elements are covered.

In the cellar, as gitchegumee stated, look at the glycol jackets. You may run the risk of having a portion of the jacket being exposed with a half-full tank.

Feel free to reach out to me to discuss your plans. I can help you in the sizing your system. If 7 BBL is too large for you, Craft Kettle does build a 3 BBL and a 5 BBL NANO type system, which is simplified and skid mounted. Many factors go into sizing a system appropriately, so I'd love to walk through that with you.
      _
      JEREMY KING
      Brewery Design Consultant, Experienced Commercial Brewer
      jeremy.king@craftkettle.com | d 504.930.4462 (schedule a call)

CRAFT KETTLE BREWING EQUIPMENT
      1600 Tchoupitoulas St New Orleans, LA 70130 | p 855.953.8853
      www.craftkettle.com
      @craftkettle

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
        Go for it. Whether you can ferment half batches properly depends on where your jackets are.
        Thanks Philip, That's good advice, I'm checking to see where the end.

Comment

Originally posted by craftkettlebrew View Post
          JonathanPWheat What is the heating method of the brewhouse? If it is steam-heated, makes sure the a half-full kettle fully covers the steam jacket. Same is true if it is electrically heated - make certain that the heating elements are covered.

Feel free to reach out to me to discuss your plans. I can help you in the sizing your system. If 7 BBL is too large for you, Craft Kettle does build a 3 BBL and a 5 BBL NANO type system, which is simplified and skid mounted. Many factors go into sizing a system appropriately, so I'd love to walk through that with you.
          I believe it is steam, but will make sure of that. And thank you for the offer to help, I'll go look for your website and check out your stuff

Comment

Working...
          X