Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5 BBL Potential Brew pub

Hi there,

I am looking at starting up a brewpub in my hometown and have been trying to get as much advice as possible from every resource available. No better place than Probrewer. Thank you for reading.

Dryden is a small city of 6000 people (another 6000 in periphery) in North Western Ontario, about 8 hours drive north of Minneapolis. The closest brewery is in Kenora about 150 km away which has expanded and has shown success in distributing. Dryden itself does not have much for pubs let alone brewpubs, so I see there to be an opportunity with little competition except for out of town craft beer in cans.

Buildings are hard to come by that fit the bill for a brew pub, which I guess is the same story everywhere. I am currently looking at an existing 40 seat restaurant which has a residential rental unit above which could pay for the mortgage of the building, helping keep expenses low. This comes with a disadvantage in that the building does not leave much space for a brewery. It is located next to the higher end grocery store in town, a hockey/pool arena which is big for tournaments, and zoned commercial downtown on a main road with a lot of traffic. There is room to expand a patio out front and have hop plants growing around a pergola.

I have contacted a Chinese company to help out with the layout of the building. I see its max potential, without major renovations, at a 3.5bbl brewhouse with 6 3.5 bbl jacketed fermenters and 6 non jacketed serving tanks (quoted 72K USD without shipping). This would be in the existing 10x16 kitchen and expanded 9x13 cold room which has a portion backing onto the bar. In the meantime I have access to a 1bbl Spike trio system, with 4 1 bbl jacketed fermenters which I would use as a proof of concept for the business without having sunk too much in initially, other than a down payment on the building. There is future potential to put an addition (15'x30') on the front of the building, which I believe would hold a 10bbl system but comes at an incredible cost due to COVID.

Food would be all cooked in a pizza oven which would come with the building. It would be solely tater tots but injected with culture. Mexican totchos, korean kimchee, sauerkraut, malt vinegar, anything that is simple and straight forward. This is done in a smaller room with a take out window attached.

The intention would be to sell everything across the bar. Minimal canning if need be.

So the business plan would be operating on 3 stages. First the 1 bbl minimal financial risk. I would likely buy some plastic fermenters to increase capacity, understanding fully that a 1bbl system is unsustainable and with the intentions of expanding to the 3.5bbl system preferably within a year.

The 3.5 bbl system is the max capacity of the building in its current state. This is where I am not sure the investment is worth it. I would prefer to go serving tanks as that requires less man hours for cleaning kegs. I would prefer a larger system but I am restricted due to the size of the building. Judging by the posts made on Probrewer, it seems as though people end up running out of beer. I am not sure if this is because people are selling kegs to distributors, which I do not intend to do. Most 3.5 bbl sized breweries that I hear of are frankenbrewed, but the system would need to be very particular to fit in the current space.

This is where everyone also says that you should leave room for expansion, which is where the 10 bbl brewhouse addition comes in with a proper canning line, but would be an incredible amount of money to build.

I intend to maintain my normal job, which is busier in the summer and totally free in the winter. I am able to take care of the brewing with help from my local home brewers club throughout the summer. My wife would be available during school hours as I have 2 young kids. I would need to hire part time staff to work as bartenders, and some cook staff/can fillers.

While at work I have a lot of time on stand by to work on planning, staffing, accounting and marketing.

Another possibility is just leaving the operation at a 1 bbl brewery, which seems difficult, but could possibly bring in kegs from other breweries to supplement.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm building out a 3.5 bbl brewery, I don't have much experience so take this with a grain of salt.

40 seats seems pretty good for the population. Opening up outdoor seating is a great option.

We got lucky and found a Blichmann brew house, 6 ss brewtech unis and a bunch of kegs for quite a bit less than your quote was for. We have the luxury of having a lot of space.

From our research serving from kegs is a lot cheaper and more flexible than serving tanks.

Make sure that the place has adequate power, water and sewer.

Since there aren't any local craft breweries, you might need to do some education. Starting on the one barrel might work especially if you can have both systems set up.

Best of luck!

Comment

Yeh if I could fall into a decent brewing system I would take advantage of it. In the meantime I intended to use the 1bbl.

The reasoning behind the serving tanks was to reduce labour costs with kegs. The 20 or so kegs that I would purchase to run the 1bbl brewhouse would be used as the overflow for the 3.5 bbl system. So in my mind it would flow nicely as the company grew.

Are you intending to run a brewpub? Definitely feels nice having more space to grow I bet. Would you be comfortable at 3.5bbl in terms of sustainability?

I think once the 3.5 bbl system gets set up I would be running out of space to operate the 1bbl.

how do you mean education? I could definitely use some.

Comment

• CBET
        CBET commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi
        I am Richard form china for craft beer equipment,we can offer the best brewing system for you to meet you specail requirement.
        If you need any assist please send email to us.our client in USA just ordered 2BBL brewing system,we can share the more information to you.
        ------------------
        Thanks&Best Regards
        Richard
        Shandong ZhongPi Machinery Equipment Co.,Ltd.
        Email:richard@cnbeerequipment.com
        Add:Li Xia District, Jinan City, Shandong Province, China
        Phone/Whatsapp:86+18560038670
        Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJl..._as=subscriber

Originally posted by Bushpileit View Post
      Hi there,

I am looking at starting up a brewpub in my hometown and have been trying to get as much advice as possible from every resource available. No better place than Probrewer. Thank you for reading.

Dryden is a small city of 6000 people (another 6000 in periphery) in North Western Ontario, about 8 hours drive north of Minneapolis. The closest brewery is in Kenora about 150 km away which has expanded and has shown success in distributing. Dryden itself does not have much for pubs let alone brewpubs, so I see there to be an opportunity with little competition except for out of town craft beer in cans.

Buildings are hard to come by that fit the bill for a brew pub, which I guess is the same story everywhere. I am currently looking at an existing 40 seat restaurant which has a residential rental unit above which could pay for the mortgage of the building, helping keep expenses low. This comes with a disadvantage in that the building does not leave much space for a brewery. It is located next to the higher end grocery store in town, a hockey/pool arena which is big for tournaments, and zoned commercial downtown on a main road with a lot of traffic. There is room to expand a patio out front and have hop plants growing around a pergola.

I have contacted a Chinese company to help out with the layout of the building. I see its max potential, without major renovations, at a 3.5bbl brewhouse with 6 3.5 bbl jacketed fermenters and 6 non jacketed serving tanks (quoted 72K USD without shipping). This would be in the existing 10x16 kitchen and expanded 9x13 cold room which has a portion backing onto the bar. In the meantime I have access to a 1bbl Spike trio system, with 4 1 bbl jacketed fermenters which I would use as a proof of concept for the business without having sunk too much in initially, other than a down payment on the building. There is future potential to put an addition (15'x30') on the front of the building, which I believe would hold a 10bbl system but comes at an incredible cost due to COVID.

Food would be all cooked in a pizza oven which would come with the building. It would be solely tater tots but injected with culture. Mexican totchos, korean kimchee, sauerkraut, malt vinegar, anything that is simple and straight forward. This is done in a smaller room with a take out window attached.

The intention would be to sell everything across the bar. Minimal canning if need be.

So the business plan would be operating on 3 stages. First the 1 bbl minimal financial risk. I would likely buy some plastic fermenters to increase capacity, understanding fully that a 1bbl system is unsustainable and with the intentions of expanding to the 3.5bbl system preferably within a year.

The 3.5 bbl system is the max capacity of the building in its current state. This is where I am not sure the investment is worth it. I would prefer to go serving tanks as that requires less man hours for cleaning kegs. I would prefer a larger system but I am restricted due to the size of the building. Judging by the posts made on Probrewer, it seems as though people end up running out of beer. I am not sure if this is because people are selling kegs to distributors, which I do not intend to do. Most 3.5 bbl sized breweries that I hear of are frankenbrewed, but the system would need to be very particular to fit in the current space.

This is where everyone also says that you should leave room for expansion, which is where the 10 bbl brewhouse addition comes in with a proper canning line, but would be an incredible amount of money to build.

I intend to maintain my normal job, which is busier in the summer and totally free in the winter. I am able to take care of the brewing with help from my local home brewers club throughout the summer. My wife would be available during school hours as I have 2 young kids. I would need to hire part time staff to work as bartenders, and some cook staff/can fillers.

While at work I have a lot of time on stand by to work on planning, staffing, accounting and marketing.

Another possibility is just leaving the operation at a 1 bbl brewery, which seems difficult, but could possibly bring in kegs from other breweries to supplement.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

We would suggest a compact 3bbl brewery system if you have space limitation.
      Can you please share the dimension of your brewery? like width, length and height.
      We can design a floor plan for you to fit 3bbl brewery and primary 1bbl brewery.
      1bbl brewery is better to test a recipe. So we should keep both system.

Cheers,
      Brewman Machinery Equipment Co.

Comment

Hi Bush, would you please contact me by E-mail:sales2@sungoodmachinery.com
        Beryl
        ---------------------------------------------------------
        Gavin

Please E-mail me at any time

We Specialize In Designing And Fabricating High Quality Tanks/Equipments For The Brewing Industry!

Email:
        sungoodmachinery@vip.163.com
        gavin@sungoodmachinery.com

www.sungoodmachinery.com(Updating)
        Great Quality,Affordable Prices,24hours After-sales Service!
        The Brand You Know,The People You Trust,The Quality You love!

Comment

Working...
        X