Dividing US-05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dividing US-05

We're using US-05 in 7 bbl batches and it's taking off like crazy on the lower gravity beers. We're small so we only brew once a week right now anyone out there dividing the .5kg packets between batches that aren't happening on the same day? What procedures do you have in place to keep the yeast from picking up anything wild in an open packet?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Great Black Swamp Brewing Co.

I am using 66 grams in our 1bbl batches from the .5k packets. I open the package and when done, just roll up the top of the package and put it in a tupperware container and keep in the fridge. Have had no problems doing this for the past couple of months. It takes about 3 weeks for me to go through a .5K package.
    Tim Eichinger
    Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

Yeast

We're also using partial bricks for pitching (batches between 3-5bbls). We just roll the packet opening up, clip it, and refridgerate. We haven't seen any performance deterioration or infection. And you're right - that stuff does take off like a rocket!

Justin

Comment

Just to add, It takes me about 2-3 weeks to go through a .5kg packet. I just roll the top over, put a clip on it, and place it in the fridge. So far no problems...

Comment

Where are y'all getting the .5 Kg packages from? I dont see them on LD's catalog.
          Cheers!

Jeff
          Carbondale Beer Works

Comment

Ah - thanks! Forgot about them.
            Cheers!

Jeff
            Carbondale Beer Works

Comment

I'm thinking about switching over to dry yeast for my IPA and IIPA and have had great luck with US-05 in small 12 gallon HB batches. Any one of you guys who are currently using the US-05 repitching it a generation or two after? I was thinking about using going one more gen from an IPA to a IIPA, then starting over again.
              Keith Yager
              Head Brewer/Owner
              Yellowhammer Brewing Co.
              www.yellowhammerbrewery.com

Comment

I do not repitch. It is inexpensive enough that I don't feel the risk outweighs the benefits. It's a littl over $6 per bbl to pitch so if you re-pitch you've cut your cost to $3. You picked up $3.
                Tim Eichinger
                Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

I've been repitching US-05 for a while now. I've gotten up to about 8 generations with no problems.
                  Hutch Kugeman
                  Head Brewer
                  Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
                  Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I've gone 8 generation may times no issues at all. It's just as safe as any other form of yeast available.

Comment

Working...
                    X