Dark Candi metal taste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just seeing your last posts...too late.

I already added (at about 3% as extract) to the fermentor at high krausen.

I guess we'll see how it develops. I'll let you know.

Pax

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

You guys have me worried now. The lot #'s I have end with xxx900, it sounds like the lot may not matter. Last year I used D2 in our stout with great results, this year I was going to use the D. I am going to push this brew to next week and get some D2 in house.

Liam- I am interested in your results.

Everyone else-What yeast strains are you guys using? We use Wyeast-1084, not sure if this is relevant but curious nonetheless.
      dangerously good ales.

Comment

Originally posted by CDangerBrew
        What yeast strains are you guys using? We use Wyeast-1084, not sure if this is relevant but curious nonetheless.
        We tried WY1762 once and WY3787 twice. Same metalic taste. This is when we've put the blame on sugar (also taking in account D2 was alright)

Ben

Comment

I used a combo of 3787 and 3711 from Wyeast. I've used this combo a few times for other beers, always with great results and no metallic flavor.

Comment

Ben (and others) packaged the chocolate porter the other day. Tasty brew.

There was a whiff of 'inkiness' towards the end of the fermentation but seems to have dissipated (at least in this particular brew of which we've done two batches). This inkiness/metallic character has not been observed in any of our other beers that do not use this syrup . I definitely think something is up with the "D".

Mayhaps the aging on Cacao nibs and vanilla beans has masked it.

I get no metallic character from it currently.

your mileage may vary....

Pax.

Liam
            Liam McKenna
            www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Thanks for sharing comments. I will try 'D' rocks and Aromatic Brown crystals soon and will come back on this early 2013

Comment

We recently used both the regular D and D2 syrups in a dubbel and quad, respectively. In both beers, the syrups represented more than 7% of the total fermentables. We had no metallic flavors/aromas in either beer. FWIW, I added the syrups at WP, as I do with all of my adjunct sugars.

Comment

we are now trying D in rocks vs Aromatic Brown sugar. Turned out D was actually paler than Brownv to achieve same density. D rocks has way less aromas and taste, barely more than with raegular Blond ( which we tried too) No metal taste so far

Comment

Beachwood,
                    How does the D tastes like (form the bucket) Is it salty/mineral like baking soda? That's what I've experienced

Comment

Working...
                    X