Dark Candi metal taste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Candi metal taste

I've been using different types of candied sugars and syrups from Dark Candi Company. I've ruined 2 batches using "D" type, this syrup giving a strong metallic taste. Anyone has experience similar off flavors?

I've been successful with the other types, sugars and syrups

Ben

Ben,

Sorry for your troubles. You've got my attention though. I have 60lbs of 'D' on the way to me right now for a couple of Winter beers.

Any lot/reference numbers?

I will check mine out thoroughly when it arrives early next week and repost.

Have had no similar problems before.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

taste the syrup, you may get a sodium bicarbonate taste: perhaps it's what causes the metallic taste...?

It represented 4% of my recipe

I've emailed the company: no answers to my 2 eMails.

Keep in touch

Ben

Comment

I've used d2 in three different test batches (only 10g) but have never experienced any metallic taste. Syrup has no off-flavors to speak of when tasted straight. Highest usage was 10% in a quad. It's a 60lb tote, i'll check lot number when I get a moment. I have to imagine it's specific to either the batch or the handling prior to your receipt.

Comment

Originally posted by HitB Brewery
          I've used d2 in three different test batches (only 10g) but have never experienced any metallic taste. Syrup has no off-flavors
          I agree, D2 is OK. My problems are with D -not D2

Comment

I recently used the D in a Quad, also at 4% and have no metallic issues. Unfortunately I trashed the container after brew day so I have no record of the lot number. The sugar tasted great with no sodium bicarbonate. Any chance your two metallic batches were the same lot number? Hopefully this is an isolated issue.

Comment

I also have 3 60lb totes of D in the brewery and will be brewing with it next week. It would be great to see those lot #'s, but I will be thoroughly tasting the sugar before brewing. I will also repost.
              dangerously good ales.

Comment

Ben,

Just received my shipment of 'D'.

Tried it many ways (in cold water, hot water, beer and straight up)

I can detect no off flavours.

For the reference of others: we get our 'D' from the country malt group. The label on the tote I just received states the following number: 2L225290700. Not sure what this number is/represents though.

Pax.

Liam
                Liam McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by liammckenna
                  Ben,

For the reference of others: we get our 'D' from the country malt group. The label on the tote I just received states the following number: 2L225290700.

Pax.

Liam
                  Mine is #xxx800 so not the same lot (?) Again: I tried other batch numbers in recent years. Pelas let me know how your beer end up tasting. Problem might be on the fermentation yeast side

Ben

Comment

Yup, us too

Ben,

We used to use that product in our Belgian-style dubbel, but stopped for the same reason. One of my brewers/biz partner is exceptionally sensitive to it, but once he pointed it out we all could taste nothing else...very metallic. We tried downing usage, adding earlier in the boil, all to no avail. We now use a soft (granulated) candi sugar (I think it's even the same company!) and no longer experience the metallic flavor. So, I hear you...you're not crazy. And btw it didn't seem to be specific to any particular lot number of the liquid sugar...it was every time over a year+ period.

Taylor Smack
                    Blue Mountain Brewery
                    Blue Mountain Barrel House

Comment

Now the metal appears...

Throughout fermentation I had no metallic flavors, only a nice raisin/plum/rum flavor. I was really looking forward to my quad being ready to drink. Now after 1 week at 50 F the metallic flavor is very noticeable. Unfortunately dumping batches is not an option where I work. I am going to get some french oak spirals that I am hoping will (somewhat) hide the flavor. I will never purchase sugar from this company again. There are easier and cheaper ways to get a metallic flavor in your beer. As I posted earlier, the syrup was delicious out of the container.

Comment

Originally posted by BelgianBrews
                        Throughout fermentation I had no metallic flavors, only a nice raisin/plum/rum flavor. I was really looking forward to my quad being ready to drink. Now after 1 week at 50 F the metallic flavor is very noticeable. Unfortunately dumping batches is not an option where I work. I am going to get some french oak spirals that I am hoping will (somewhat) hide the flavor. I will never purchase sugar from this company again. There are easier and cheaper ways to get a metallic flavor in your beer. As I posted earlier, the syrup was delicious out of the container.
                        I feel sad for you but at the same time I'm relieved it's not only happening to me. I suggest you contact them as I did: they called me , left a message, I just didn't get time to coll them back. I've also contacted Country Malt Group from where I purchased it.

Try D2: we often use it, it's ok. I will try the crystals, will post my results

BTW: CMG recently bought Dark Candi Company, they're interested in our comments.

Ben

Comment

To those with issues with the 'D': if you would be so good to share...

How and when are you adding the Candi and what kind of percentage (extract wise)

Pax.

Liam
                          Liam McKenna

Comment

60 pounds for 13.5 BBL, 4% by extract. Added SLOWLY with 10 minutes remaining in boil, all in after about 4 or 5 minutes.

Liam, I would see if you can return the 'D' or exchange it for some 'D2'

Comment

6%
                              We tried at end of boil on 2nd batch (2nd day) a well as in smaller, single batch. Our last attempt was at the end of fermentation at 6°P. Same results. Dumped this latest batch in the drain today It featured D & D2 (3%x2)

Comment

Working...
                              X