MEAD included Orange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEAD included Orange

When I prepared mead using summer oranges, it did not ferment for 5 days.
    If you add yeast, the weight will drop by only 2 points per day. Do you know the solution?

mead details
    ● Ingredients: 50% honey, 49% summer orange puree, 1% malt
    ● Process: Take the malt for 20 minutes(protein rest 45℃), then mix the honey and puree and leave it at 75 ℃ for 20 minutes to start fermentation at 17 ℃. East introduced ec1118 at pitch rate 1.
    ● Mead without summer oranges ferments without problems

Did you test the sugar degree of the liquid? may be the sugar is little or the yeast is little or the fermenting temp is too low for this kind of yeast

Comment

Hello Yuki! You may wish to measure pH. Although I think it would be fine (people ferment orange juice all the time), perhaps yours is too low for champagne yeast. Also, I've had issues with local fruit and fermentation in the past. Turns out that our fresh supply of a specific orange we used in our Witbier had been prepared for storage without my knowing that a fungicide was sprayed on the fruit. We always washed them thoroughly, but it still stuck our fermentations. Make sure that your puree doesn't have preservatives, specifically sorbate.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I don't know if it's the correct way to reply when I write for the first time, but please forgive me.

Did you test the sugar degree of the liquid? may be the sugar is little or the yeast is little or the fermenting temp is too low for this kind of yeast
        The OG is 1.064. I used to do homebrew with the same pitch rate, the same temperature, and the same yeast, but there was no problem.

Hello Yuki! You may wish to measure pH. Although I think it would be fine (people ferment orange juice all the time), perhaps yours is too low for champagne yeast. Also, I've had issues with local fruit and fermentation in the past. Turns out that our fresh supply of a specific orange we used in our Witbier had been prepared for storage without my knowing that a fungicide was sprayed on the fruit. We always washed them thoroughly, but it still stuck our fermentations. Make sure that your puree doesn't have preservatives, specifically sorbate
        Thank you for answering in detail. The pH was as low as 3.7 in the early stages of fermentation, but I thought it was about the same as grape juice.
        I wasn't thinking about puree additives. I will check it!

Comment

Working...
        X