Carolina Reaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carolina Reaper

I wanted to ask how many peppers I should/could use in a 5 gallon keg of beer to give it a kick with out making people get a colectomy?

If you know the heat rating in Scoville units, you can use that to compute how much dried pepper by weight would be enough: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

As for fresh peppers, the spiciness will vary considerably from one pepper to the next, making it very difficult to predict the outcome.

Having survived eating a Carolina Reaper raw, I would think that one pepper/bbl would be pushing most folks tolerance.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

While I totally agree with Timm, be fore-warned that the scoville ratings on peppers have been found to be wildly inaccurate in general. They are great as a guideline, but any given pepper is subject to great differences.

I love peppers, but I would edge away from the Reapers in beer, myself. I have done Fresno and Hatch batches in past years with great success. In-fact, just harvested about 5 lbs of Hatch Extra-Hot from the home garden yesterday. I also tasted a great Poblano beer one-time. I do not find heat attractive in beer myself, but rather the complexity of flavor. Reapers, Scorpion, & Bhut Joloka just wipe out most flavor, IMHO. FWIW grew up with the ole Ghost Faced Killah brewed 20 mins away - never have been a big fan.

For 5 gallons, Sack em in a Corney and just transfer the beer off when you achieve desired heat level. My fresno batches were 7bbl in a grundy and would increase in heat over the few weeks.

Comment

Working...
      X