X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timbro81
    replied
    Originally posted by rudge75
    Timbro, are you connecting the head spaces and pumping the beer? That's crazy fast - we'd just have a foamy mess everywhere at that speed.

I've done them before off a 3 head filler attached to the brite tank. It had a co2 line to it, so you gassed all three sanitized kegs first and then simply turned off the gas and started up the beer flow.

Some guys fill them upside down to speed up the process as well, no?

I could've sworn I'd heard that somewhere before - in thru the gas, out thru the stem. Very quick fills, but required some set-up to make life easier on the downstream end to flip the keg over while rolling down a line.

We're still just filling single 50 liters in about 8 minutes with a feed and bleed set-up but summer's here and any pick-up in time is much appreciated!

Kegs have roughly 10-15psi at end of cleaning cycle and before filling. Kegs are then connected to bright tank that have roughly 10-12psi and bright tank head pressure is maintained via CO2 line. Couplers are connected to kegs (upright), ball valves on couplers are opened, beer flows in, CO2 bleeds off. There is some foaming but nothing too terrible.

Leave a comment:

• BrewinLou
    replied
    Twenty min is extreme. What temp is the beer at?
    With a tank on or around 10-15 psi, and beer at or around 32 deg F with proper bleed off you should be able to fill a half bbl in under 5 min with minimal foaming. Less than a cup.

Micro Matic makes valve that are about perfect for adding to your filling coupler.

I put one valve on the liquid side and one on the co2 side.

On a cleaned purged keg I tap it with both valves closed. If you purge with a slightly less pressure setting then you fill with you can slowly open the liquid valve. I let it sit for 20-30 seconds to let the beer push the keg pressure up to tank pressure before cracking open the bleed off. With the Micro Matic valves I open the valve until it is diagonal across the starting closed position. At least that is what we used to do until we bought a MiniKing.

You fill through the gas side if you are filling the kegs upside down. Through the center spear if you are filling rightside up.
    Last edited by BrewinLou; 07-01-2011, 08:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GlacierBrewing
    replied
    Originally posted by Mad-Brewer
    We use a smooth bore cleaning / filling coupler when filling our kegs. The kegs are counter pressurized, and we and bleed off the CO2 through a small hose. It is taking the guys about 20 minutes per keg though. What rate do most people keg for filling kegs?
    Twenty minutes per keg seems extremely long. I suggest to experiment increasing the CO2 bleed-off rate and increase the ID of the beer feed hose. What is your CO2 volume of the beer?

Prost!
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• kai
    replied
    I've never timed it but we probably fill a 50L keg in 2-3 minutes, with a three-head racker and 1-inch hose on the kegging heads.

I think the principles behind filling kegs are pretty much the same as emptying them -- make sure the beer is cold enough, keep the top pressure high enough to prevent breakout but not so high the beer over-carbonates, and make sure that any flow restriction in the line is at the final point (in this case, that'd be the keg itself) otherwise CO2 will break out in the line.

In a practical sense: Connect the coupler, open the product valve, let the pressure equilibrate between keg and BBT, then open the vent valve and let 'er rip.

Leave a comment:

• rudge75
    replied
    Timbro, are you connecting the head spaces and pumping the beer? That's crazy fast - we'd just have a foamy mess everywhere at that speed.

I've done them before off a 3 head filler attached to the brite tank. It had a co2 line to it, so you gassed all three sanitized kegs first and then simply turned off the gas and started up the beer flow.

Some guys fill them upside down to speed up the process as well, no?

I could've sworn I'd heard that somewhere before - in thru the gas, out thru the stem. Very quick fills, but required some set-up to make life easier on the downstream end to flip the keg over while rolling down a line.

We're still just filling single 50 liters in about 8 minutes with a feed and bleed set-up but summer's here and any pick-up in time is much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• CopperKettle
    replied
    As above, we counter pressure fill 1/2 BBL kegs in 4-5 min, you need to open up your pressure relief output significantly.

Leave a comment:

• timbro81
    replied
    1/6 bbls = about 90 seconds
    50 lts = about three minutes
    depending on the tank head pressure.

Leave a comment:

• Mad-Brewer
    started a topic keg - rate of filling

keg - rate of filling

We use a smooth bore cleaning / filling coupler when filling our kegs. The kegs are counter pressurized, and we and bleed off the CO2 through a small hose. It is taking the guys about 20 minutes per keg though. What rate do most people keg for filling kegs?
Working...
X