X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lhall
    replied
    Timm,

I just started reading through this thread, so you might have figured out your problem by now. I just wanted to say, that on our circa 2016 Comac filler, they have a small regulated line blowing off CO2 from the headspace all the time. It's not much flow, but they explained to me that it was necessary to keep the bowl headspace oxygen levels low. There is always a small amount of air left in the bottle even after a double pre-evac and purge, and this air goes up into the bowl when you start filling. If you aren't bleeding the headspace off and continuously replacing with CO2, the oxygen levels start rising during the run, much like you described. I don't know if you have the ability on your machine to constantly be bleeding off the headspace, but it might fix your rising DO problem. Hope that helps, cheers,

Leave a comment:

• Piper Gladwill
    replied
    Hello I run a 2015 GAI MLE 661 Bier 6 head filler. I am experiencing trouble with the infeed screw, the alarm says infeed screw: axe alarm. It wont let me do manual movements or a system restore. I tried to do new phasing on the infeed screw but the belt just runs and the screw doesn't turn. I have tried turning it off and back on, but that didn't seem to help. Any advice I would greatly appreciate.

Piper Gladwill,
    Golden Valley Brewery,
    McMinnville OR
    Last edited by Piper Gladwill; 08-25-2021, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TGTimm
    replied
    Sean--I wish I could help you with that, but.... We decommissioned our 3003A about two months ago. We have it listed in several places and have had no bites whatsoever. Ours needs some maintenance, but ran when parked.

HNC--I doubt that using a bigger spring would help. You'll just shear off the shaft from the roller cam follower to the crowning head. It has a hole drilled right through it at the most critical stress point and shears off easily--I've replaced it at least four times since '07.

Leave a comment:

• HNC_1
    replied
    We have a brand that we need to package with stainless crowns... they're a lot tougher than our regular crowns and require a lot more force to apply. We've ordered the larger size spring from what was fitted stock. Has anyone had any experience changing these out?

Leave a comment:

• HNC_1
    commented on 's reply
    Hey Timm! Had to wait a long time for my account to be approved but wanted to know if you found an answer to this.

Sometime within the last 6 months I began getting involved more with our 3031FM unit... which was also the same time we got our first DO meter. Experienced what sounds like the same thing as you, DO on the beer going into the machine was low, the initial readings weren't that bad, but we noticed an accumulative increase through out the packaging run. During a visit by the local Prospero tech we fixed a couple of the rinse/purge heads that weren't working which seemed to deal with the worst of it.

• Mammoth Sean
    replied
    Hi Everyone. I'm looking for recommendation on what to do with a 2007 3003A Monoblock from Prospero. We have loved the line and the line has loved us, averaging 30hrs/week for the past 13years, but it may have come to the end of it's era. We have not done the regular recommended maintenance over the years (lessons to be learned there...) and are being told it could cost as much as $80k for a complete servicing (including to replace all the seals, gaskets & bearings throughout the machine).

It was turning and filling just fine up until we decommissioned it last month, except for a crooked threaded hole in the under-plate (that holds the drive gear in place to rotate the rinser). This crooked hole is causing gears to shear about every two months, costing about $800 each time, and the main reason why we took it off line. The plate estimate to fix is about $10k.
    We’re making a strategic decision to move away from 12oz bottles, so we don’t need this machine any further, but I hate the idea of selling the machine for scrap metal (which is our option at this point). I would like to know if anyone else has been in this position and what they've done. Selling it for parts may not make sense because no one needs 3003A parts(?). And possibly spending up to $90k for a rebuilt 2007 machine may not make sense?

Anyone got any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• christopher561
    replied
    We've bought parts through prospero… I'm not sure if we've bought the filler through them though. I will for sure if I hear anything. yup those kind of techs... once you.. call the meter is running.. Beautiful machine though. Not many issues in the last 10 years, just a-lot of maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• TGTimm
    replied
    Did you buy yours through Prospero? Pros now charges something like $25 to talk to a tech for 15 minutes.

Keep us updated on what, if anything, you learn. I'm back to chasing an external air leak on ours.

Leave a comment:

• christopher561
    replied
    Hey TImm.

Don't do that. thats got to hurt, I'm going to try and contact GAI. I'm just trying to think if the co2 and vacuum lines are bored through the turrets outter stainless steel wall and maybe 1-8 heads combine to one point, and 9-16 combine to one point also.

Thanks for the reply! I hope we figure it out!

Leave a comment:

• TGTimm
    replied
    I wish I could help you there, Chris, but we're having a similar problem and I've been unable to find the cause. I've beaten my head against the wall over this 'til I ran out of walls.

Leave a comment:

• christopher561
    replied

Hello,

Chris from Pennsylvania brewing company in Pittsburgh PA, we have a GAI 5003a 16 head filler that has been in service since 2010. Thank you for making this thread. I have showed our mechanic about all the maintence that you have been doing on your GAI 3003a, which is a very simular machine. We rebuilt all the heads, rebuild the capper springs, I told him about rebuilding the top bowl seals. which he is ordering the parts now.

The issue we are having is about DO. We unfortunately do not have own a DO meter. But we do know another local brewery that does have one. I took one bottle from each fill head and marked it with the corresponding fill head. I took two sets of bottles to the brewery with the DO meter. He did a TPO for the bottles. 1-8 fill heads were greater than 30ppb and as high as 83ppb. but then heads 9-16 were all below 20ppb in the teens. My question is... Is there anything in the filter bowl that diverts the co2, vacuum to only heads 1-8 and only 9-16? Its very strange that exactly 1-8 which is 50% of the fill heads is high and 9-16 are low DO. We're scratching our heads.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Disolved Oxygen.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	302967

Thank You for any input,
    Cheers
    Chris
    Last edited by christopher561; 08-26-2020, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TGTimm
    replied
    Don: There is a sensitivity adjustment on the sensor. You need a tiny standard screwdriver. One came zip-tied to the cord of the sensor.

We changed caps a while back and I played hell getting those sensors to detect the new caps. I don't know what the problem was, but I had to actually move the upper sensor mount to finally get it to detect the caps, and even now it will only detect them in the right position.

Be very careful if it's calling for the vibrator to run excessively. The motor coil for the vibrator can overheat and burn out, and a replacement cost us $1,200 ten years back.

Leave a comment:

• duffsbrew
    replied
    Gai 3031 fm

Timm- You still on here? We are having an error message on our bottling machine for "Lack of caps" error message BF 801. The caps are there and the vibrator is working. Im thinking the lower sensor is failing, but I'm trying to trouble shoot the cause of the failure. Anyone have any ideas?

Duffy Griffiths
    Director Of Brewing Operations
    Greenport Harbor Brewing Company

Leave a comment:

• TGTimm
    replied
    Still a mystery.

I replaced all the bottle seals. Our TPO still sucks.

Where the hell else can air be getting into the bowl? I have no leaks whatsoever. I've replaced every seal I can. I've tested for and/or eliminated every source of air I can think of.

I'm going back to pounding my head against the wall now.

Leave a comment:

• TGTimm
    replied
    Alright. Here's my best guess as to what's going on:

The pre-evac system draws the air from the bottle, flushes it with CO2, then draws the CO2 down, leaving the bottle under vacuum for a very short period of time before the equalizer valve opens, filling the bottle with CO2 from the bowl headspace. When the pressure is equalized, the product valve opens, allowing beer to displace the gasses in the bottle back into the headspace of the bowl.

If the bottle seals are not 100% tight, they might be allowing some air into the bottles during that brief period between evac and equalizing. It wouldn't take much, and could just be one or two seals very slightly leaking to account for the build-up of O2 we're seeing in the bowl headspace.

I'm replacing all the bottle seals right now. While a bad bottle seal usually manifests as a failure to equalize and therefore fill, it's possible that a leak is so small it just allows air in under vacuum.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X