Cask Brewing SAMS system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cask Brewing SAMS system

Anyone out there using the cask SAMS system? How do you like it? Any issues?

For the first couple of months I hated ours. Now, it's nice and broken in and it's never worked smoother. We had some intermittent issues but the guys at Cask have been very good about getting back to me, warranty-ing any parts we needed, and sending us their ever-newly-designed components. Some of the Festo parts can break easily, but if you have a Festo distributor around you it's easy to get the parts you need quickly and cheaper than paying for shipping (at least for us!). It can be tricky to get the machine fine-tuned for the rated 15CPM but even when its not fine-tuned we average 12-13CPM. Though once you get the hang of the machine it can be a breeze to work on and make adjustments.

Comment

Cask

Originally posted by hokus View Post
      Anyone out there using the cask SAMS system? How do you like it? Any issues?

Cavite emptor. Search for "Cask" on this forum.

Comment

Most searched topics seem to talk about the manual systems seamer having issues.

I am more interested to hear from people who have these, and what they like/don't like. So just some minor parts and setup issues?

Comment

5 head filler

Originally posted by hokus View Post
          Most searched topics seem to talk about the manual systems seamer having issues.

I am more interested to hear from people who have these, and what they like/don't like. So just some minor parts and setup issues?
          All my experience is with the 5 head filler.
          1. lid dispenser had to be reprogrammed and a proximity added to detect failure. Failed constantly when new.
          2. Seam bearings need replacing to keep seam tolerances. Use only double sealed bearings. Keep checking them every 300 cases or so. Keep some in stock.
          3. Control panel was wired up side down on one half of the main panel. geez.....
          4. dryer needed program change and a proximity sensor added should a lid not be present.
          5. Schematics of machine are not available in electronic format. Prevents the above changes to be edited in the drawings.
          6. None of above problems were addressed or even a response from Cask support. Basically no customer support on this machine.

Note: There is no spare in the panel for any additions. Not very nice of them.

Comment

I have had a 2 head manual and currently run a 5 head auto. Both are pretty good. Not perfect, but is anything? The guys at Cask have always been helpful when I called looking for parts or troubleshooting advice.

Comment

We are looking at the SAMS at present.

I was able to spend a day with the sales rep at the Ontario Craft Brewers tradeshow a couple of weeks back.

I also had the guys from Diversey (Sealed Air) there as well so we were able to look at the cleaning issues which has been one of the longterm concerns. Not so much the filling line cleaning but rather, the ability to foam and clean the machine externally. The wires running from the coil on each filling head are not protected and we intend to upgrade the heads (tubing guards around the wires & caulking the access points) to allow a more aggressive machine cleaning

When we order the machine, I will order a filling head to be delivered first. There are a number of brass parts in the head that I want to upgrade to stainless. They do not offer this. Even if I have to have them machined.

The can transfer on the Sams is a world ahead of the 5 head machine or the Wild Goose machine. If you look at the video, the 3 cans are gently moved mere inches into the seaming lane, the lid is immediately dropped on and goes straight into the seamer which removes the lag time travelling down the line, getting knocked 90 degrees and wobbling into the seamer. It is the one aspect of these machines that I have always hated.

One potential downside is the relative position of the seaming head to the open cans while filling. I indicated to Cask that I want a small plastic screen in between to prevent possible beer spray from the seaming head into the cans. I will also add some timed sanitizing sprays to prevent any bacterial buildup in this area.

The rinsing option in the video is a joke. The infeed/rinser on the Wild Goose mobile canner video is a much better option but I doubt you can buy only the rinser. I have built an invertor before (not a wire twist rinse - yuck) and may have to build something to suit.

Overall, the improvements in the SAMS over the 5 head makes this very attractive to me. 7 liters/minute, 400 liters/hour is right about where we want to be for our canned product. We bottle 500ml bottles at 24/minute, 700 liters/hour. This line will add to our product mix and give us an outdoor option which never used to exist for a small brewery

Rob Creighton
              Brewer
              Grand River Brewing
              Cambridge, Ontario

Comment

Working...
              X