GAI 3003 capper/crowwner semi-annual R&R--photo tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy, Jeremy.

We also had to replace the vibrator board (twice). The original just about didn't work even before it melted down, and the new ones, while much better, are still problematic.

First, and very important: DO NOT RUN THE BOARD WITHOUT THE VIBRATOR MOTOR PLUGGED IN! When I was trying to diagnose the first new board we got, a tech from Pros recommended we try this. The board started blowing fuses, so the tech had us put in higher amperage fuses and the board burned up. Guess who paid for the new one?

Check the connection to the vibrator motor on the crowner. The plug on ours also burned out, so I simply bypassed it.

Check the fuses--there are three of them in little green plastic boxes. Radio Shack (do they still exist?) stocks the equivalent fuses, but in glass instead of ceramic. Don't over-size them, regardless what you might be told.

Check the two potentiometers--the dials. They should be ~10 k Ohms (the ones I have here measure 9.5 k Ohms and 10.5 k Ohms) across the outer contacts, and should vary smoothly from there to ~0 from the center to either of the outer contacts as the dial is turned.

The Pros. guys say the internal (frequency) adjustment should be set to ~50 hz, but ours runs much better at something around 42 Hz. Set the dial on the front panel--amplitude--to somewhere around 8. With crowns in the hopper and the vibrator set to Manual, fiddle with the frequency dial until the buzzing is loudest. Take a look at the crown hopper with the lower part of the crowns channel open (crowns falling out) to see if too many crowns are getting thrown off the ramp. If so, turn the amplitude down until most crowns make it into the gate where the upside-down (actually, right-side-up) crowns are rejected. If the crowns aren't moving fast enough, turn the amplitude up. This usually requires some fiddling and two people make it much easier.

Best of luck--
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Before we tear down the capper for a refurbishment I would like to build a spring compressor. I was hoping I could get some dimensions. You mention you made yours long, and I was wondering what diameter pipe I need to make it out of.

Thanks! Augie

Comment

I'm up to my a$$ in alligators right now, but I'll try to get some measurements. I made mine from scrap, so the cost was low.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X