Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Feedback on Alpha BC42 Strike and ABE CraftCan Duo 8

Hello, long time, first time, etc.

Shopping around for canning lines - must run at least 40cpm and make me feel omnipotent. No constraints on size, electrical or water.

I welcome all feedback both positive and negative about the Alpha and ABE lines.

I've been running an Alpha BC42 for about a little over a year and a half. Generally I'm pretty happy with it.

I've never touched 40cpm though- with really really cold beer and lower CO2 volumes, you could probably hit that speed, but your DO would suck. I typically run around 33cpm- I find my cap on foam and DO numbers are best around that speed with 34F beer at the filler- carbed to around 2.5-2.6.
    Last edited by JDN; 06-18-2020, 11:49 AM.
    Jonathan Newman
    The Virginia Beer Company
    Williamsburg, VA

Comment

I have the craftcan 15, basically half of a duo 8. The thing to remember on most can lines, is they rate the speed based on 12 oz cans. So things would slow down for 16oz cans or larger. That said, I havent even had to try and crank this thing and still manage 18cpm on a single lane, 4 head filler. I could probably get it up to 24 cpm with a few tweaks and not have an increase in beer loss.
      Pros:
      -You can literally adjust any filling parameter per head on the fly through a digital interface.
      -Very consistent fill heights, we are averaging at most a 2 gram difference between fill heads, this levels out to 1 gram the longer we run for.
      -They have the ability to generate foam, it works extremely well and we are averaging less than 20ppb pickup of oxygen, most of the time our DO meter is reading below 15 ppb for our cans. We check all of our DO's within an hour of being pulled from the line, so we know they are accurate.
      -Support has been great, though haven't needed a ton of it.
      -Made in the USA, always a nice perk.
      -Low loss: We rarely loose a can, once the settings are dialed, there is very low loss of beer due to foam.
      -The seamer is pretty slick, servos for both the chuck drive and the tools. Not cam driven though, the servo is direct acting and measures the force applied. Adjustment is very simple and accurate, on top of being able to reject cans with seams that did not form properly.
      Cons:
      -You can literally adjust any filling parameter per head on the fly through a digital interface. While this is great, you can get yourself into some trouble if you don't understand fully what the settings do. Read the manual twice, and get some onsite training. You wont regret it.

My one tip, make sure you either get their tank monitor, or build your own. It needs to measure pressure at the bottom of the tank to keep the pressure constant to the filler. This is true with all fillers.

I definitely recommend the ABE system.

Comment

Working...
      X