downstream control for Pack Leader PL-501

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• downstream control for Pack Leader PL-501

I didn't want to have to do it, but we installed a labeller inline with our canning line, set up to label brite cans. We haven't been able to source printed or sleeved cans in a long time. We bought a Pack Leader PL-501 labeller and have it installed now. But to my surprise, there is no option to stop the machine if the downstream conveyor is blocked. I asked Pack Leader about it and to add that will require more money and time and sending the control unit back to them to program.

Does anyone else run this labeller and how are you handling shutting down the labeller if the downstream conveyor is full?
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

ever find a solution to this? different machine but similar problem. thanks

Comment

We haven't yet. My plan now is to have some sort of gate before the labeller, controlled by a downstream photoeye, that just stops the flow of cans into the labeller.
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

We had same situation. But were small enough to manually load cans. Had a stainless ruler that we used to gate off the flow of cans when the filler shut down. Almost need someone to monitor the labels, change rolls, and verify that the date stamp was being applied in the correct location. If you choose to automate this, then a plunger-style pneumatic actuator works well to stop cans. We use a Microcanner line and those coupled with proximity sensors work well to control the flow of cans through their machine.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

We installed our PL-501 about a year ago. It is placed after our Wild Goose canning line and before a manual pack-out conveyor so we don't have any issues with cans backing up into the PL. The issue we run into often is cans flipping on their side as they enter the PL from our Goose. If you don't catch the can in time it triggers the sensor and jams up the rollers with labels. Anyone else having or have addressed this issue?
          Based on the original post, it seems as though some breweries are installing the PL between the twist-rinse and canning line. Other than needing to pause the PL conveyor, how is it working out for you?

Comment

• GlacierBrewing
            GlacierBrewing commented
            Editing a comment
            Howdy,
            We use an Elf-50 installed after our canner but had the same issue of lack of can control when they enter the labeler: cans falling over, cans not spacing out.
            We ended up “Rube Goldberging” our labeler by installing zip ties around the inlet rails to create just a hint of a bottleneck (or can-neck) so the cans back up about four deep On the canning conveyor belt before one is pushed through onto the labeler. Also, I zip tied a four inch semi-stiff piece of plastic to the top rail(at a 90

• BMoss
            BMoss commented
            Editing a comment
            GlacierBrewing, thanks so much for sharing the info. Would you mind sharing pictures of your set up? If preferred, you may send it to my personal email brandon@11belowbrewing.com

Thanks

We station a person at the PL-501 monitoring can movement. On the occasions when the labeler must be stopped, but filled cans are still moving toward it, we pull filled cans off the line while the labeler monitor QUICKLY resolves the problem and gets it back online.

Shutting down the filler to adjust the labeler wreaks havoc on foam, fill levels, CO2, etc. etc. Know your PL-501 inside and out, very carefully adjust the settings, work fast to bring it back online.

Comment

Linus, has the right idea for a simple solution to the problem. You could use either a pneumatic limit switch to activate the can stop up stream of the labeler or an electric PE, if you go with the electric PE you would need to have a controller you can utilize to operate the solenoid controlling the stop or install a relay to activate the solenoid.
            Cheers,

Comment

Working...
            X