Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eoconnor101
    replied
    We use a larger particle Perlite for both the pre coat and then a smaller grade Perlite layered on top for the coat, and then that same smaller grade is dosed throughout the run. Our pump motor fried out and the tag is illegible on the pump. The repair shop showed me that the set up was a dual stainless steel impeller (I believe the brand was Motoravia - Italian? since its a della toffola). Does anyone know of a company that is stateside that could deliver a 2 stage impeller centrifugal pump as that is what was working? We have 120 bbl tanks, usually the filter is 15-20 PSI across the bed and we see transfer rates of about 25-30 bbl an hour at that pressure, sometimes during a bad run the pressure creeps to 40-50 before the flow rate is basically cut to zero and we have to dump. I don't think the bell housing should really be above 40 PSI anyways. I don't know the exact horsepower but from the pump size it was probably in the range of 1.5-2 HP

Thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

• dick murton
    replied
    Diatomaceous earth (DE) - kieselguhr (KG). Numerous different grades available, and sometimes embedded in filter sheets. In bigger breweries at least, often Perlite is used as the first pre-coat, as the particle size is larger and prevents passage of the finer KG through the filter support, whether candles, stainless mesh or cellulose. Can produce brighter, less contaminated beer than perlite.

Leave a comment:

• eoconnor101
    replied
    What does KG stand for? I tried to look it up but couldn't find it. We use Perlite in our DE filter.

Leave a comment:

• dick murton
    replied
    KG and other filter powders are very abrasive. Believe me, they do wear stainless steel high speed impellers incredibly fast. You need piston or peristaltic pumps for KG. Peristaltics are perhaps the best as they don't have non return valves to wear or block.

Leave a comment:

• eoconnor101
    started a topic Bowpeller pump for DE filter/wort transfer

Bowpeller pump for DE filter/wort transfer

We've had our DE pump's seal fail for a second time, its pretty old and beat up so I was looking into a new one and I recalled seeing these at a trade show.

https://www.americanbeerpumps.com/bo...mp-models.html

I thought this would also be good for unfiltered beer transfers as well, as we currently use our CIP pump(s) for this. But our operations manager tells me that the DE or Perlite will cause significant damage to the stainless steel impeller, which surprised me. I can see damage occurring in a poly impeller but stainless steel?
Working...
X