Glycol loop options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol loop options?

HI, We're getting ready to pipe in the glycol system, and I'm torn between 2 designs. A little background, due to limited space, the tanks will be 2 rows, facing each other.

6 x 7bbl unitanks, sched 80 pvc for trunks, and 3/4 flex line drops to the tanks.

So, Option A - standard setup
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Outside-Run_2-rows-ferms-glycol.png Views:	0 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	315236

Or Option B? The issue I'm wondering about here is the length of the drops to the tanks. Since they are smaller does this create a pressure issue on the system? They would have to run over the top from the center to the backs of the tanks. Less material cost though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Center-Run_2-rows-ferms-glycol.png Views:	0 Size:	29.9 KB ID:	315237

Thanks!
    Last edited by Twofox; 08-06-2022, 09:34 AM.

Bump for input. The simple question is: Will longer drops to the fermentors create an issue with pressure going from 1 1/2 to 3/4? Thanks!

Comment

In the spirit of sharing, I got some info from Cold Shot Chillers on that 2nd option. Looks like I'll have to use that due to where I can add hangers.

Here it is:

shared your plumbing illustration with me. It looks like you are on the right track using reverse return or first in last out plumbing. Additional comments:
      • The bypass valve at the end of your process is a good idea but should only be slightly open allowing only a little bit of fluid to flow through.
      • There is no need for a check valve on the supply line leaving the chiller.
      • We would recommend adding isolation valves on the supply and return directly outside the chiller. This can be helpful when troubleshooting or working on the chiller.
      • A solenoid valve on the return is usually not needed unless the return line is so high that the column weight is draining into the tank and it is overfilling. As long as the return fluid returns below the tank level you should be fine.
      • I would put temperature and pressure gauges on the supply and return lines. The position should be soon after exiting and returning to the chiller. Locate indoors if all possible.

I'm going to have about a 10ft rise to the loop, so I'll add the solenoid just in case.

Sliante!

Comment

Both options look good! If a backflow prevention valve is needed, a better option over a solenoid would be an actuated ball valve to mitigate potential pressure surges.
        G&D Chillers, Inc.
        760 Bailey Hill Road
        Eugene OR 97402
        541-345-3903 / 800-555-0973
        Fax: 541/345-9141
        info@gdchillers.com
        www.gdchillers.com

Comment

Working...
        X