Bought chiller used, need help making sense of this thing, uggg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought chiller used, need help making sense of this thing, uggg

So, I bought a 2/3 hp chiller used and have a few questions about its workings. My main question is how the heck does it pick up the glycol from the bath? Here's how the previous owner had it set up. They used it to push product through the coils so it's a different use... anything helps thanks
    Attached Files

Here's more thanks
    Attached Files

Comment

So figured out that it chills the coils which are filled with a seperate supply of glycol... don't know why but I thought that it would pump glycol directly from the bath in the chiller.

Comment

I can Help

Originally posted by Beardown View Post
        So figured out that it chills the coils which are filled with a seperate supply of glycol... don't know why but I thought that it would pump glycol directly from the bath in the chiller.
        Give me a call, In denver

Mike George
        720-982-4303
        Mike George
        Director of Brewery Operations
        Cell 720-982-4303
        mgeorge@bluesprucebrewing.com

Comment

It looks like a carbonator to me. I have one (round, not square) like this. It's designed to chill water directly and carbonate as it goes. I just pump from the glycol reservoir. I haven't yet used the coils inside; I haven't really got any use for them. I'd remove the coils in mine, but they're combined with the freon evaporator. It looks like yours are separated, so you could probably take them out.

If you run a separate glycol loop through the coils, you need another storage tank, for expansion volume. Skipping the secondary heat exchange is more efficient, too.

Regards,
          Mike Sharp

Comment

The previous owner used it to chill product through the coils. I'll give you a call mike

Comment

It looks like a flash chiller, used usually below a dispenser. However can be used to cool wort but less effective since the refrigerant heats up as you keep passing a hot solution through it.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Comment

So I'm thinking that i take the coils in the pics out of the glycol bath and then fill it with the glycol and pump it straight out of the chiller to the loop? Seems that I wouldn't need those coils to chill fermenter jackets, correct ?

Comment

So I'm thinking that i take the coils in the pics out of the glycol bath and then fill it with the glycol and pump it straight out of the chiller to the loop? Seems that I wouldn't need those coils to chill fermenter jackets, correct ?
                  The only reason I can think of to keep the coils is if you want to run product through it for some reason...which is why it's a flash chiller in the first place. But if you want to chill your tanks, I'd take out the coils. As I mentioned, with mine, the coils are permanently in there, so I left them. If your evaporator is separate from those coils (and from the photo, it seems like it is), you can just remove them. Yours seems like a much nicer unit than mine.

You might, however, need a bigger glycol tank. It depends on how much glycol your loop and all the jackets contain. I like to be able to have all the glycol drain back to the tank, if need be. Yours is pretty good sized, so maybe it's big enough.

Regards,
                  Mike Sharp

Comment

For the time being it will only be needed to chill the 1 3bbl ferm, with an additional 6-7 bbl in a year or so. The ferm will be set up very close to the chiller so the lines won't be too long.

Comment

Working...
                    X