Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plumbing C02 into a Keg Cooler - How do I do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing C02 into a Keg Cooler - How do I do it?

Hi! I have a small, new cidery where I've been using 5lb C02 tanks inside my 3 keg coolers. Removing and installing the Co2 cylinders is a pain.

I have a large 500lb C02 Tank nearby now that I'd like to plumb in. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to make the holes for C02 lines? Or do I just start drilling? All three are True Refrigeration TDD-2-HC keg coolers.

Thanks a ton!

-Trinity Cider Team

You'll be drilling holes. A long "bell hanger's" bit is the thing for this.

Set your primary regulator to around 125 psi and connect to secondary regulators, each feeding no more than 4 kegs. Use at least 1/2" line (I use O2 barrier PEX--the stuff for hydronic heating systems) for your primary run. Go larger if the distance from the big tanks is great--like a few hundred feet.

I've rebuilt quite few systems and built a few new ones. One of the biggest problems I've seen is starving the kegs for CO2 pressure during high-draw times, resulting in bad foaming. Oversized lines and multiple secondary regs solve the problem completely.

Of course, the biggest single problems I see in beer coolers is poor organization.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Same here...

We use the stainless version of the smaller True unit TDD-1S. Use a 5/8" hole saw for standard 9/16" CO2 hose. We bore near the top back of either side. There is nothing but insulation on either side of these units, to the best of my knowledge. Refrigeration is all back side, I believe. Inside we have 4x slim 1/6's and get great pours with 1 bar pressure from an external 20# tank located within a few meters of the unit. If I were feeding 3 of these units with 4 kegs each, I'd go with Timm's recommendation and use separate secondaries on each unit.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Thank!

Thanks a ton! Plumbing it this morning!

Comment

Originally posted by TrinityCider View Post
          Hi! I have a small, new cidery where I've been using 5lb C02 tanks inside my 3 keg coolers. Removing and installing the Co2 cylinders is a pain.

I have a large 500lb C02 Tank nearby now that I'd like to plumb in. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to make the holes for C02 lines? Or do I just start drilling? All three are True Refrigeration TDD-2-HC keg coolers.

Thanks a ton!

-Trinity Cider Team
          Good luck with the install. I was actually at your Cidery a few months ago when one of your tanks ran out of gas. It looked like a PITA.

Comment

Done!

Yes! It was definitely a pain swapping out those 5lb tanks all the time... but now. We’re all plumbed now! Using our 500lb tank! The little bottles are gone, only to be used for festivals with a jockey box or as large paper weights. Thanks all!

Comment

Working...
            X