No announcement yet.

Spent Grain Uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we have trouble getting rid of all our spent grains, the only farmers we have managed to keep coming back for more are the ones who pass by our town every day. They say its not worth their time and gas when they can get feed sent directly to them.
    We create about 20 x 500 kg (wet) spent grain boxes per week, In the winter we get an open container and dump the excess, but once the weather gets warmer we have to pay a farmer to take the unwanted and dump it.
    I think Id have to make alot of bread to use up the excess spent grains

Our other issue is finding someway to get rid of the yeast instead of draining it. I think I dump 1000-1500 liters of yeast per week. I have a container to collect 1000 lt in but I havent found anyone who wants it.
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

spent grain and yeast

HI:

Man, you got your hands full........................

At 20X500 kg I think it would be economical (almost... ) to have
      a spent grain drying equipment set up. You will get rid faster of dry
      spent grain than wet.
      In Europe (long time ago... ) we heated the spent yeast with
      steam to about 150*F for ~ 20 minutes, than pumped the slurry
      to the spent grain.
      I know it's easier said than done.but.........just my 2 cents.

Good luck

Fred

Comment

Fred-
        After cooking for 20 min, did it go to animal feed? Which animals?
        I am nervous about causing animals harm. I once gave a rancher a barrel of malt dust and fines that he was going to use sparingly for certain animals like horses. His elderly and "pre-occupied" mother fed it to a herd of sheep killing about twelve.
        I keep thinking about using a dehydrater for spent yeast...especially a solar one. Anyone doing this?

Comment

more on spent grain

Originally posted by Moonlight
          Fred-
          After cooking for 20 min, did it go to animal feed? Which animals?
          I am nervous about causing animals harm. I once gave a rancher a barrel of malt dust and fines that he was going to use sparingly for certain animals like horses. His elderly and "pre-occupied" mother fed it to a herd of sheep killing about twelve.
          I keep thinking about using a dehydrater for spent yeast...especially a solar one. Anyone doing this?
          Moonlight:

We killed the yeast, and after drying,we packaged the same in 50 Kg bags.
          The farmers mixed the dry yeast at a rate of ~ 10% into the spent grain.
          The spent grain/yeast mix than is used in conjunction with forage (hay, grass) and pelletized feed. The farmers use ~ 35 lbs of the spent grain/yeast mix in the feed mix per cattle per day.
          You can get more info on the usage of spent grain by contacting
          Bioremediation Cleanup Inc
          157 Moreland St.
          Worester, MA 01609
          Phone (508) 757 - 7808

Hope this helps,

Fred

Comment

How did you dry it?

Comment

spent grain

Originally posted by Moonlight
              How did you dry it?

with a commercial dryer................
              2500 Kg/ hr

I don't know if there are dryer with less hourly capacity are available.

Fred

Comment

Spent grain

See how a large distillery deals with this issue or contact a company like Alltech, Inc. in KY as they have a lot of interest in making distillers and brewers grain as dry solubles for feedstuffs. It does need to be treated and enhanced (several papers around on the topic - e.g., in Process Biochemistry).

I'd suggest there might be potential here for someone to run with this as a small animal feeds business if you are located near several breweries to make the volumes worthwhile. Otherwise, like for yeast, it is not (unfortunately) usually a viable issue for a conpany like Alltech to take such small individual amounts off your hands.

Animal feeds, mulch/fertilizer, fiber -it is interesting that not many folks have taken this on as a business yet.

Comment

Spent Grain into Cheese

At my present brewery a farmer comes and collects the spent grain for his cows. He brought us some CHEESE a week later in appreciation - delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by GarySped
                    See how a large distillery deals with this issue
                    New options everyday. Check out this new info for fermenting brewer's waste into ethanol. (Isn't that the goal anyway?)

Waste not, want not.
                    One man's waste is another man't fodder.
                    Etc.......

Comment

my dream situation is this: grow mushrooms with the spent grains, then feed it to the cows.

By using the spent grain as a mushroom substrate it will break the grain down further for the cows. The cows cant break down the grain far enough to keep from producing Methane.

That way I can have 2 revenue streams from one ingredient. Dare to dream

John

Comment

Originally posted by nwcw2001
                        my dream situation is this: grow mushrooms with the spent grains, then feed it to the cows.

By using the spent grain as a mushroom substrate it will break the grain down further for the cows. The cows cant break down the grain far enough to keep from producing Methane.

That way I can have 2 revenue streams from one ingredient. Dare to dream

John
                        Is it possible to grow mushrooms on spent grain? Do you make logs or something?
                        Cheers & I'm out!
                        David R. Pierce
                        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                        POB 343
                        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Originally posted by wildcrafter
                          New options everyday. Check out this new info for fermenting brewer's waste into ethanol. (Isn't that the goal anyway?)

Waste not, want not.
                          One man's waste is another man't fodder.
                          Etc.......

Nice link Wildcrafter.......waste not want not is right. Plus less acreage hopefully sooner than l8r for those silly virgin feed stock sources!!

matt g

Comment

Originally posted by beertje46
                            Is it possible to grow mushrooms on spent grain? Do you make logs or something?
                            You only need longs to grow mushrooms like shitake that need the hardwood.

Button mushrooms, crimini and portobello and other "ground" shrooms LOVE spent grains. And because it comes out of the mash tun sterile, you spread mycelium you have happy mushrooms in no time.

Comment

Logs?

My brewer-in-law was thinking about binding the dried spent grain with wax and compressing them into logs to burn in his fireplace. Anyone tried that?

Comment

Spent yeast sediment also makes a great slug bait for organic gardeners. Living in the moist pacific northwest - slugs are hell on tender plant starts early in the season. I place a small dish of trub/yeast - or even just a dish of beer...slugs come from all around. they crawl in - they don't crawl out.

organic slug bait - no risk of poisoning your pets/kids and no poison on your organic garden. That cory's slug bait will kill your pet if it finds it.t
                                pdinapoli@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X