X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt L
    replied
    Spent grains into energy and salable chemicals

I've leased out half of my building to a Seattle startup, http://www.bluemarbleenergy.net/, that will take all of my waste products (grain, water, co2) and convert them into energy we will use to feed into the grid and spin our dial backward while netting a range of usable chemicals for their use and sale. Pretty slick arrangement although it's unique at this point to my location b/c they're a startup. You can follow our progress on the Fremont Brewing blog, http://fremontebrewing.blogspot.com/, and get a feel for how it plays out in reality.

Most of these biomass to energy technologies are far out of the range of what craft brewers can afford and we plan to use this technology to advocate for greater subsidies and state commitment to help small manufacturers come together and defray the initial capital costs of this type of technology.

President-elect Obama has made a commitment to support alternative energy technologies and we hope to make a play for some federal grant money also. Yes we can!

Cheers,

Matt
    Fremont Brewing Company

Leave a comment:

• Gregg
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex T
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned spent grain combustion (biomass combustion). Several projects have been implemented. S&N have already done a project in the UK (think Royal Brewery in Manchester?) and I believe have another on the cards. Heineken also completed a projects in Nigeria and Austria.

Couple of different methods - either co-fire with wood chips, or press moisture out of the grain and then burn. Either way, the brewery takes a big step towards self sufficiency in terms of heat.
    I am interested in this sort of use, but I believe economies of scale would be required to make biomass worthwhile - capital and operational costs would probably be excessive for any typical small brewery - see Alaskan Brewery's project for such a mechanism.

Having said that, there may be an ingenious solution for small-scale operations. Royal is just up the road from me - perhaps I will pop in there.

Gregg

Leave a comment:

• Alex T
    replied
    Hey,

I don't know if anyone has mentioned spent grain combustion (biomass combustion). Several projects have been implemented. S&N have already done a project in the UK (think Royal Brewery in Manchester?) and I believe have another on the cards. Heineken also completed a projects in Nigeria and Austria.

Couple of different methods - either co-fire with wood chips, or press moisture out of the grain and then burn. Either way, the brewery takes a big step towards self sufficiency in terms of heat.

Food for thought.....

Cheers,

Alex

Leave a comment:

• wildcrafter
    replied
    distillers grains for beef

Recent info about distillers grains for beef.

The availability and use of wet distiller's grains in beef finishing diets continues to increase as the ethanol industry expands, and some Texas AgriLife Research scientists are trying to determine if that will affect consumers' meat purchases. While much of the research focus has been on the energy value of the distiller's grains relative to the corn it replaces, recent questions have been posed on how they may affect beef quality, said Dr. Jim MacDonald, AgriLife Research ruminant nutritionist.

Leave a comment:

• brewbonghm
    replied
    I read someplace that you can now teleport spent grain to Ethiopia, where people eat the stuff. Further, the people of Zimbabwe may also have an interest.

When third world nations compete, you win!

Leave a comment:

• wildcrafter
    replied
    mulching with spent grains

Here is a new update on using spent distillers grains as mulch for gardening.

Commercial flower and plant growers know all too well that invasive, ubiquitous weeds cause trouble by lowering the value and deterring healthy growth of potted ornamental plants. To control weeds, many commercial nursery owners apply herbicides or pay workers to hand-weed containers. A study by US Department of Agriculture researchers investigated using "dried distillers grains with solubles" or DDGS as a weed deterrent on potted ornamentals.

"Waste not, want not"

Leave a comment:

• nwcw2001
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffjohnvol
    My brewer-in-law was thinking about binding the dried spent grain with wax and compressing them into logs to burn in his fireplace. Anyone tried that?

Actually, Alaskan Brewing uses the spent grain to run their grain dryer, so it does work as a heat source. I think this might work because it is the same way they build Duraflame logs.

Leave a comment:

• Paulie Walnuts
    replied
    Spent yeast sediment also makes a great slug bait for organic gardeners. Living in the moist pacific northwest - slugs are hell on tender plant starts early in the season. I place a small dish of trub/yeast - or even just a dish of beer...slugs come from all around. they crawl in - they don't crawl out.

organic slug bait - no risk of poisoning your pets/kids and no poison on your organic garden. That cory's slug bait will kill your pet if it finds it.t

Leave a comment:

• jeffjohnvol
    replied
    Logs?

My brewer-in-law was thinking about binding the dried spent grain with wax and compressing them into logs to burn in his fireplace. Anyone tried that?

Leave a comment:

• nwcw2001
    replied
    Originally posted by beertje46
    Is it possible to grow mushrooms on spent grain? Do you make logs or something?
    You only need longs to grow mushrooms like shitake that need the hardwood.

Button mushrooms, crimini and portobello and other "ground" shrooms LOVE spent grains. And because it comes out of the mash tun sterile, you spread mycelium you have happy mushrooms in no time.

Leave a comment:

• SRB
    replied
    Originally posted by wildcrafter
    New options everyday. Check out this new info for fermenting brewer's waste into ethanol. (Isn't that the goal anyway?)

Waste not, want not.
    One man's waste is another man't fodder.
    Etc.......

Nice link Wildcrafter.......waste not want not is right. Plus less acreage hopefully sooner than l8r for those silly virgin feed stock sources!!

matt g

Leave a comment:

• beertje46
    replied
    Originally posted by nwcw2001
    my dream situation is this: grow mushrooms with the spent grains, then feed it to the cows.

By using the spent grain as a mushroom substrate it will break the grain down further for the cows. The cows cant break down the grain far enough to keep from producing Methane.

That way I can have 2 revenue streams from one ingredient. Dare to dream

John
    Is it possible to grow mushrooms on spent grain? Do you make logs or something?

Leave a comment:

• nwcw2001
    replied
    my dream situation is this: grow mushrooms with the spent grains, then feed it to the cows.

By using the spent grain as a mushroom substrate it will break the grain down further for the cows. The cows cant break down the grain far enough to keep from producing Methane.

That way I can have 2 revenue streams from one ingredient. Dare to dream

John

Leave a comment:

• wildcrafter
    replied
    Originally posted by GarySped
    See how a large distillery deals with this issue
    New options everyday. Check out this new info for fermenting brewer's waste into ethanol. (Isn't that the goal anyway?)

Waste not, want not.
    One man's waste is another man't fodder.
    Etc.......

Leave a comment:

• Sulfur
    replied
    Spent Grain into Cheese

At my present brewery a farmer comes and collects the spent grain for his cows. He brought us some CHEESE a week later in appreciation - delicious.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X