Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refractometer readings much different than hydrometer why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractometer readings much different than hydrometer why?

So, I thought I would get more modern and get a refractometer and start using it instead of my hydrometer. Plus lets face it it makes me look pretty technical as I gaze into the lens rather than look at a floating tube well perhaps not. So, I am getting about 5 degrees higher on the refractometer than I am with my hydrometer. It has been calibrated and it was tested on 65* product. It was a strong beer about 18 plato when I started and should be down to arouond 5 now which is what the hydrometer shows. Yes, it is brix but that is only a small correction factor. This is new to me any thoughts?

Thanks
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Are you trying to measure fermenting beer? I do not have scientific explanation but Refractometer should be used in wort production only. May be someone else can chime in why.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty_Monk View Post
      Are you trying to measure fermenting beer? I do not have scientific explanation but Refractometer should be used in wort production only. May be someone else can chime in why.
      Yes it is fermenting
      Mike Eme
      Brewmaster

Comment

From Page 392 of Jean De Clerck Vol 1

Theory of Fermentation

"E-E'/E *100

Where "E" is the specific gravity before fermentation and E' the specific gravity after fermentation."

the result of the above provide the percent of attenuation.

Alcohol changes the refractive index of the wort. This is why using a refractometer to measure post fermentation wort does not provide us a meaningful number. The change in the refractive index due to the blend of alcohol, sugar and water in the final product skew the reading. Hydrometers are more immune to the effects of alcohol in the blend and provide a closer, but still not completely accurate; approximation of the remaining sugars in our beer. Always calibrate a refractometer with distilled water to 1.000, 0 Brix.

Here are some sources that help explain it better than I can..

When taking a refractometer measurement of wort, the Brix reading is not necessarily accurate. What is obtained is the Brix WRI (wort refraction index). Only after dividing the Brix WRI by the wort correction factor is the actual Brix known. It is helpful to know that Brix and Plato are nominally the same to 3

Sean Terrill's blog covering a wide range of arts and sciences. Just kidding; it's about beer.

Sean Terrill's blog covering a wide range of arts and sciences. Just kidding; it's about beer.
        Last edited by Scott M; 11-08-2015, 07:54 PM.

Comment

as others said, dont use the refractometer for any liquid with alcohol in it. I think there is an equation on how to correct a reading with alcohol, but ultimately not worth it because you might as well just use a hydrometer for FG readings.

In our brewery, the refractometer is a good tool to use to get quick readings during mashing and lautering. when the kettle is full we usually switch to the hydrometer because you can always trust it.

Comment

Thats why I ask always someone smarter than I. Now I know

THANKS
            Mike Eme
            Brewmaster

Comment

Working...
            X