Determined to reuse yeast; 2bbl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determined to reuse yeast; 2bbl

Going to use this guide. This being said, 7lb of slurry would be just under a gallon of slurry since water alone weighs 8lbs per gallon. I really want to reuse yeast. Problem is, how many days into fermentation should I pull the slurry. Should I remove a gallon of trub after a few days of fermentation and then on (let's just say) day 10 pull a gallon of slurry? I will use cement blocks to raise my fermenters to aid in yeast removal. BTW 2bbl system.....

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 11.32.24 AM by Jeremy Boucher, on Flickr

Untitled by Jeremy Boucher, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 11.44.49 AM by Jeremy Boucher, on Flickr

Those blocks are nasty. I'd be stunned if your health department allowed those inside your brewery. They are nothing more than structural media for bacteriological growth. For a 2 barrel system, don't know why you'd want to harvest yeast instead of using a dry yeast option. To do liquid repitching right, you need a very busy brewing schedule as well as a few hours' time to do viability & pitching rate. Let alone oxygen, cleaning and sanitizing. What is the advantage? Why are you determined? It's just not worth the effort vs. dry yeast IMO.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Yeast viability and the count are not hard all you need is a microscope, dye, and a Hemocytometer. Not sure why people make a big deal about cell count, it takes moments to grab a cell count. The hemocytometer is not more than a piece of glass with a grid on it.

About the bricks, I was going to seal them with the same sealant that I used on the quarry tile shown in the picture. I was thinking six to seven treatments before bringing them into the brewhouse.
      Last edited by Brwd.By.Boucher; 04-12-2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Please check the following link " When Yeast Should be Harvested" provided by Wyeast Laboratories:

Harvesting and repitching yeast is a common practice in many breweries. Depending on the yeast strain, harvesting and storage practices, quality control monitoring, and brewery standards, yeast can be repitched for 5-10 generations. This brewing strategy can spread the cost of fresh pitching quantities of yeast, though the brewer must weigh the benefit of reduced … Continued

Comment

Disagree with "moments" to get a yeast count. First you must have a fresh yeast supply in good shape from a ferment that isn't high gravity, or loaded with hops and trub. Then harvest the yeast in a sanitary manner. Then get an accurate, representative sample. This in itself isn't very easy. Then a serial dilution. Acid for defloc, dye for viability accounted for dilution. Counting at least 3 times to get a reasonable average. Then cleanup of all the glassware. Then measuring out the correct amount of yeast to pitch. Oxygen/air dosing and cleanup of those components that aren't necessary with dried yeast. I've got more important things to do. Why not use dry yeast? Especially when your time is for such a small volume of product?
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
          X