Accidentally chilled too soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidentally chilled too soon

I brewed a Kolsch yesterday and due to a temp. probe issue it has chilled prematurely down to about 41 degrees (it is currently about 20 hours since I pitched at around 80 using US-05). I'm currently working on warming it back up but it's going to take a while. Can I expect the yeast to wake back up and be fine? Should I attempt to dump the yeast and re-pitch with fresh stuff once it's back up to fermentation temperature? Any help is appreciated!

Isolate/Close your glycol line from the main header and run regular water in the tank jacket. It will help you to increase your temp slowly and might reactivate the yeast.

If possible check your yeast viability, Vitality and size.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by somenerve View Post
      I brewed a Kolsch yesterday and due to a temp. probe issue it has chilled prematurely down to about 41 degrees (it is currently about 20 hours since I pitched at around 80 using US-05). I'm currently working on warming it back up but it's going to take a while. Can I expect the yeast to wake back up and be fine? Should I attempt to dump the yeast and re-pitch with fresh stuff once it's back up to fermentation temperature? Any help is appreciated!
      You would better use a glycol warm tank, and pump the warm glycol through the jacket, it will help you rise the temperature reactive the yeast.

Comment

Working...
      X