Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sulfur notes in ales that appears late in the fermentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulfur notes in ales that appears late in the fermentation?

Hi.

I've had this problem with multiple batches, multiple different yeasts (WLP001, WLP066, WYEAST1318 etc.). In the late stage of fermentation, days 4-6 I suddenly get the notes of sulfur. I can't detect them in early stage of the fermentation, but seems that when the most vigorous fermentation is done, the sulfur comes out, not sure if it's produced then, or if the yeast drops out a bit and then I can detect the sulfur when the other aromas kinda drops down.

For example my latest batch with London Ale 3, (1318). I had a good looking fermentation at 21c (70f). pH dropped down to 4, fermentation started quick, and finished in 5 days. NEIPA, and the OG was 1.067, no dry hops during the fermentation. Still, in day 6 after the gravity was stable, I noticed the sulfur notes.

I have upped my pitch rates, my oxygen levels, my fermentation temperatures, but I just can't escape this problem. Any similar experiences? Any help to this problem?

As a side note, this has happened only with fresh pitches and starters. In my limited experiences with reusing yeast from the cone, sulfur hasn't been a problem.

Edit: This problem might actually be mercaptan rather than sulfur, after a little research. So tips on how to get rid of mercaptan is also welcome

Comment

Are you adding sulfur to your water? Are you dropping bottoms every day? When do you crash? How do you measure pitch rate?
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
      X