Upper Fermentation Temp for Belle Saison Yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Fermentation Temp for Belle Saison Yeast

Never used this yeast before, usually use liquid, and usually from DuPont origins so am a little dubious about the approach. With DuPont I usually go in high and let it rise. Last batch finished up at 32C.

However, there seems to be very little in the way of optimum temperature information from the manufacturers.

Anyone discovered an optimum temp for it? Anyone discovered a maximum temp limit? Or most importantly what flavour profile differences did you notice at different temperatures?

Thanks in advance.

Jon.

We use this yeast in all of our Saisons and have found 74 degrees Fahrenheit to be ideal. We have had good results even at 71 degrees but found 74 to be ideal. During fermentation we smell a strong banana aroma but the finished beer actually has a a combination of clove, pepper and hint of bubble gum.

Comment

Love this yeast

We have some int he fermenter right now. This is one of my favorite yeasts. The sweet peppery finish works so well with the simplest malt bill. You will love it. 32C is pretty high! What yeast was that, and how did it turn out? I've never seen this one get that high. It always stays around 23 or 24C like Doc said.

Comment

Free rise

Don't be afraid to use this yeast. We pitch at 68f and let it free rise to 80f. It hits 80 in about 2 days. I wasn't brave enough to let it go much higher, but I don't think it would change to profile if you did. Flavors at those temps are bubblegum, lemon, and a nice subtle pepper finish. It is delicious! I'd highly recommend trying it.

Comment

Attenuation

I thought I'd throw this in as well. This yeast is eats all! Attenuation is amazing. We mash in at 148 with a very simple grain bill and hit 95%.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCarolinian View Post
            We have some inthe fermenter right now. This is one of my favorite yeasts. The sweet peppery finish works so well with the simplest malt bill. You will love it. 32C is pretty high! What yeast was that, and how did it turn out? I've never seen this one get that high. It always stays around 23 or 24C like Doc said.
            Have been using a harvest of saison DuPont yeast for all my saisons, which loves high temps. In fact anything lower than 30C you'll be certain to get a midway stall. Found going in reasonably high (27C) and letting it rise gets the best results. Some guys I know swear by 35C as optimum temp. I'd be using a harvest of that now if I hadn't shot myself in the foot and dumped a load of elderflower in the FV prior to crash

Thanks for the advice on belle saison! I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Comment

Lallemand Info

Hi my name is Caroline and I am the East Coast Rep for Lallemand Brewing Yeasts. The Belle Saison will ferment well under a wide range of temperatures with 95F (35C) being the high end of ferm temps that we recommend. If you would like the technical data sheet for the Belle Saison or if you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to email me at cparnin@siebelinstitute.com.
              Cheers,
              Caroline Parnin
              Lallemand Brewing
              Siebel Institute of Technology

Comment

Working...
              X