Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barleyfreak
    replied
    I have had this problem with wlp002 at times, and switched earlier this year from wlp002 to wlp007 to get a dit more dryness for our house IPA. I have yet to detect any diacetyl in the 007, but also changed my procedures to hopefully eliminate/minimize it:

1) pitch at 64-65 at ~2.8lb/bbl (we're on a 7bbl system)
    2) keep at 65 for 48 hrs
    3) allow free rise on day 3 to 68 (I spund when it is within 1p of TG)
    4) usually has reached TG by day 5 (this is a 15.5p IPA that finishes at 2.5p)
    5) hold at 2-3 days at terminal, at ~68
    6) crash to 58 for harvest
    7) harvest next day and dry hop

On the dry hopping, I am following someone else's advice from probrewer. I add 1 lb of dry hops, attach a blow off into a bucket, and let it rip for an hour or two. I then add the rest of the dry hops (another 10 lbs), then close blow off. I then let it free rise from 58 to however high it goes (usually 66-68)over next 5-7 days. I have not detected diacetyl since doing this.

Leave a comment:

• BrewinLou
    replied
    Could it be oxygen ingress from your dry hop method?

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeJ
    replied
    How long is your boil?
    I wonder if Pilsner malt is the culprit here.

Leave a comment:

• briangaylor
    replied
    Originally posted by AT-JeffT View Post
    Are you doing forced diacetyl tests?
    We have not as of yet - we have tried a longer rest at the end of fermentation with minimal result - maybe we need to start doing the test.

The beer in question starts at 16 plato and we let the yeast start up at about 70* and once we get enough activity we drop it to about 65 for most of the fermentation - 3-4 days, and after that we set it back to 70 for a few days. Gets down to a terminal of about 3.5 pretty quickly and after the few days at 68-70 after that we crash, harvest, then dry hop it with glycol turned off - maybe warming back up to somewhere in the 50's or low 60s by the time we transfer to brite.

Leave a comment:

• AT-JeffT
    replied
    Are you doing forced diacetyl tests?

Leave a comment:

• briangaylor
    started a topic WLP007 issues/tips/buttery flavor

WLP007 issues/tips/buttery flavor

Good Afternoon All,

We use WLP007 - Dry English Ale yeast as our primary house yeast. We are having great results with most of our beers but our IPA keeps getting a slightly buttery/diacatyl taste. We are not sure why this is - our last batch was fermented at 65* and let to ramp up to nearly 70 towards the end. The recipe base is mostly pilsner and has a lot of whirlpool and dry hops. We dont really get this from other beers - although there are many variables between them.

Our DIPA doesnt have the buttery taste but uses brewers malt and golden promise as a base - a lot of late hops and a dry hop.

Our Pale has had it sometimes - which uses a brewers malt base and lots of late hops but no dry hop.

Anyone have some best practices for using this English yeast to produce very traditionally clean american styles? Special water chem? Ferm schedules? Anything else?

Thanks!

Brian
Working...
X