Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between warm and cold maturation of beer post fermentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between warm and cold maturation of beer post fermentation?

Hi folks, I'm wondering how much the flavor maturation process benefits (or doesn't) from room temp (68 to 70 F) vs. cold storage temp (for my brewery, 40 F)
    Sometimes I'm tempted to cold crash/transfer/keg a beer that ripped down to final plato a couple days after it's done, making sure there's no diacetyl etc. But somewhere I seem to have picked up the notion that warmer maturation temps will speed up the maturation process, helping it be ready to serve sooner.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

There isn't any one ideal temperature for all beers. There are hundreds of reactions that occur in maturation. All of them not only temperature dependent, but also pH, catalysts, and other molecules/ions that play a role in speed or retardation of these reactions. Some of these reactions you want to happen, some definitely not. Bottom line is that different beers mature best at different temperatures. Some lighter, clean, and fragrant beers might be best matured cold and quickly. Others require warmer temperatures for longer times. Some breweries have dialed in their techniques so well that they have large "ripening" rooms for maturing beer at precise temperature controls and time periods. Some lager in tanks, some bottle condition, some barrel condition, and some of us consumers buy beer to lay down for a period before opening. There just isn't any simple answer. You must know your beer and what it's capable of. You can read about it, but I think it better to learn by taste and experience. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

• Finn
      Finn commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said, thanks for the broad perspective! Point well taken that there is not a one size fits all here, especially since I'm brewing a lot of different styles.
Working...
X