Carbonate in the can???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonate in the can???

Has anyone ever attempted(hopefully successfully) to carbonate IN the can? EG after filled still. We use a 16oz AlumitTek bottle with Spring water. Our gravity filler is not conducive to carbonation, plus we have a long conveyor distance between the filler and capper. Long term we are replacing with a Monoblock system, but in the meantime I wonder if we could carbonate in the can, immediately prior to capping after filled.

A strange compasason; but I have a SodaStream at home. It does exactly this. If a SodaStream can do it for $30, seems like it can be done...

Thanks!

I can't see how it could be done. Carbonation relies on a combination of pressure and time, with turbulence speeding things up. So, atmospheric pressure is simply not going to do it.

What you could look into is natural, in-can carbonation by having sufficient residual sugar and yeast left in the beer, and then allowing sufficient time after canning, in a suitable environment for natural carbonation to develop. The big problem is getting really good control over the amounts of yeast and residual fermentable sugars (primings / krausen) in the beer to bring the as packaged CO2 up to the desired CO2 level. Lots of articles about bottle conditioning, but bottles are more robust than cans, so you need to be extra careful.
    dick

Comment

There is a guy in England who built his own filler and he carbs in the can. He has a very good youtube channel which is HarryBrew69. You can probably contact him through his brewery website and he may answer some questions: harrisonsbrewery.com

Comment

I did can conditioning for a year as our glycol chiller wasn't able to substain cold temperature and it worked. The beer was at 4-6C, slightly carbonated. The morning of the canning day, I will have a clean sanitized brink to mix dextrose, sterile water and dry yeast. Connect the brink to the bottom of the tank and push with CO2. I will mix with CO2 for a couple of minutes and start canning right away. After canning, the pallets of can are stored in a warm room for 2-3 weeks. We never had a problem with can explosions and the carbonation was right on spot. Now we bought a new glycol chiller so we don't do that anymore.

Comment

Carbonate in the can, firstly we need to ensure enough carbonate air when filling the liquid, the preparation tank with pressure is impotant.Carbonate in the can is popular in China,depends on the mixing and filling technology.

Comment

Originally posted by AGB View Post
            There is a guy in England who built his own filler and he carbs in the can. He has a very good youtube channel which is HarryBrew69. You can probably contact him through his brewery website and he may answer some questions: harrisonsbrewery.com
            Yes, watched his youtube video on this topic last week.
            Six Sigma Master Blackbelt - Lean manufacturing expert. Beer production is food manufacturing. Why not do it efficiently!

Comment

Working...
            X