aging on wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aging on wood

Playing with a new beer (twist on old) and going to age on maple. Anyone used maple before? results? and how/what is best technique for this wood? shaved, chuncks, toasted chips (like bbq) staves, etc.
    "Uncle" Frank
    Frank Fermino
    Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
    Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
    Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Wood

I've never aged on maple so can't speak from experience there. What is the goal with the beer? Knowing that would likely make it easier for others to answer. I can tell you that if you want to create something that is somewhat replicable I would choose the most uniformly shaped maple product you can get (such as staves or shaved). Things like chunks and chips can have a high variability in their amounts of surface area which can lead to some unpredictable results.
    Last edited by sw341034; 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I have never aged ON wood, just IN wood, i.e. barrels. There you get more of what was in the barrel, whiskey, rum, etc.

For this is part of a project of just always having a different beer on different wood. Yes, same beer with different woods would see the charecter chages, but its not how this project works. Its more of taking a beer Ive done, in this case a smoked bock, and seeing how it will be different. We choose maple as there arent alot of maple aged beers out there.
      "Uncle" Frank
      Frank Fermino

Comment

just do it...
        Sean Larkin
        Founder and Brewer

Revival Brewing Co.
        Providence RI, 02903

sean@revivalbrewing.com
        revivalbrewing.com
        401 523 9923

Comment

Sean

dont you mean "Just Brew It"?

Dont worry, it'll get done. Just looking at my options.
          "Uncle" Frank
          Frank Fermino

Comment

It's really hard to keep the beer on top of the wood! I would recommend a vessel to hold the beer of some sort.

Like Larkin said, "just do it..."

Comment

Working...
            X