Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck mash w/ flaked maize

Howdy,

I'm brewing a beer for a brewery turned beer bar, using one of their most popular recipes and am having problems with a stuck mash.

Its a 66% 2-row / 33% flaked maize grain bill and have had to fight the stuck mash every time. It vorlaufs fine, but sticks during lautering.

I've been using rice hulls at the same % I use for my Hef (which is 50% 2-row / 50% Malted Wheat). This ratio of 3.1% worked fine for the hef, but was no good for the flaked maize so I doubled it and still no luck. I was thinking about trying some enzymes but wanted to see if anybody had any advice for me (Even more rice hulls!)

I do a single infusion at 146*, with just an insulated mash tun.

TIA

el

Conversion?

Are you testing to see if your mash is converted after 5-10 minutes? I would think that, if your pH is a little off, you'll have a much greater decrease in the diastatic power of the 2-row than you would in a mash that uses malted wheat (which brings its own enzymes to the party). I think that, with the enzymatic deficit of the maize, you'd be looking at a substantive shift in effective conversion between pH 5.4 (70F) and pH 5.8 (70F).

Just a thought. I haven't heard of any sticking problems with corn before, but I had a similar experience on a hooch contract with torrified wheat that made up 55% of a mash with 2-row. It didn't convert, and I had an 8 hour runoff.

Good luck,
    Bill

Comment

Don't test, just give it an hour rest. I end up cutting the bed all the way to the screen/stirring and get a great efficiency, its just a PITA. I was actually wondering if an purchasable enzyme would make for an easier brew day.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check that next time I brew it.

el

Comment

Bioglucanase TX

I recently started experimenting with using Bioglucanase TX to help with a high percentage wheat mash. I couldn't find any information about usage rates
        so I just added a small amount (125 ml in about 1200 lbs of grain) at 122 degrees F for 15 minutes. I've only used it twice, but I did have a clear, non-stuck run-off both times. That could just be luck; I need to use it a few more times (and try not using it again) before I make a judgement. The beer isn't finished yet so I don't know if it will have any character effects. I bought it from Brewers Supply Group in a 1 liter jug and it wasn't expensive.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. Nobody else using enzymes for this kind of problem?

Comment

I have been using bioglucanase GB to help with grain efficiency issues. It has defiantly helped with run off and volume but I find our beers are drier since using the enzyme. wondering if there is a way around our beers drying out. I do a step mash initial mash is 2/3 water at 140F rest with .015% Bioglucanse to mash ratio for 30 min. Then water up the last 1/3 to reach desired final rest temp and rest for another 30 min. Any suggestions and or comments are appreciated. I have a 15 bbl system and our mash tun is insulated.

Comment

I have worked with flaked maize and raw maize, there no increaced beta glucan there, it's the damn flakes. Anyway the things that helped us with slow or stuck lautering are:

1) efficient conversion times with iodine check 2) proper mash ph 5,3 - 5,4
              3) little to no recirculation(1-2min)
              4) don't be there and adjust speed all the time, let the first runnings run of not too fast with a steady flow and go do something else, go help the guys to the bottling machine I promise you'll be able to speed up later while you sparge.

Kind regards

Comment

Working...
              X