Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck mash w/ flaked maize

Howdy,

I'm brewing a beer for a brewery turned beer bar, using one of their most popular recipes and am having problems with a stuck mash.

Its a 66% 2-row / 33% flaked maize grain bill and have had to fight the stuck mash every time. It vorlaufs fine, but sticks during lautering.

I've been using rice hulls at the same % I use for my Hef (which is 50% 2-row / 50% Malted Wheat). This ratio of 3.1% worked fine for the hef, but was no good for the flaked maize so I doubled it and still no luck. I was thinking about trying some enzymes but wanted to see if anybody had any advice for me (Even more rice hulls!)

I do a single infusion at 146*, with just an insulated mash tun.

TIA

el

Conversion?

Are you testing to see if your mash is converted after 5-10 minutes? I would think that, if your pH is a little off, you'll have a much greater decrease in the diastatic power of the 2-row than you would in a mash that uses malted wheat (which brings its own enzymes to the party). I think that, with the enzymatic deficit of the maize, you'd be looking at a substantive shift in effective conversion between pH 5.4 (70F) and pH 5.8 (70F).

Just a thought. I haven't heard of any sticking problems with corn before, but I had a similar experience on a hooch contract with torrified wheat that made up 55% of a mash with 2-row. It didn't convert, and I had an 8 hour runoff.

Good luck,
    Bill

Comment

Don't test, just give it an hour rest. I end up cutting the bed all the way to the screen/stirring and get a great efficiency, its just a PITA. I was actually wondering if an purchasable enzyme would make for an easier brew day.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check that next time I brew it.

el

Comment

Bioglucanase TX

I recently started experimenting with using Bioglucanase TX to help with a high percentage wheat mash. I couldn't find any information about usage rates
        so I just added a small amount (125 ml in about 1200 lbs of grain) at 122 degrees F for 15 minutes. I've only used it twice, but I did have a clear, non-stuck run-off both times. That could just be luck; I need to use it a few more times (and try not using it again) before I make a judgement. The beer isn't finished yet so I don't know if it will have any character effects. I bought it from Brewers Supply Group in a 1 liter jug and it wasn't expensive.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. Nobody else using enzymes for this kind of problem?

Comment

I have been using bioglucanase GB to help with grain efficiency issues. It has defiantly helped with run off and volume but I find our beers are drier since using the enzyme. wondering if there is a way around our beers drying out. I do a step mash initial mash is 2/3 water at 140F rest with .015% Bioglucanse to mash ratio for 30 min. Then water up the last 1/3 to reach desired final rest temp and rest for another 30 min. Any suggestions and or comments are appreciated. I have a 15 bbl system and our mash tun is insulated.

Comment

I have worked with flaked maize and raw maize, there no increaced beta glucan there, it's the damn flakes. Anyway the things that helped us with slow or stuck lautering are:

1) efficient conversion times with iodine check 2) proper mash ph 5,3 - 5,4
              3) little to no recirculation(1-2min)
              4) don't be there and adjust speed all the time, let the first runnings run of not too fast with a steady flow and go do something else, go help the guys to the bottling machine I promise you'll be able to speed up later while you sparge.

Kind regards

Comment

I don't know when you add the flaked maze but definitely want to add it mid brew, never add it first or early because it will gum up at the bottom. Enzymes def will help out if your adding it later to the brew.

Comment

Working...
                X