7 BBL Counterflow HX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 BBL Counterflow HX

I know this will get some eyebrows, but here goes.
    I want to build a counter-flow hx in order to recirculate my wort from boiling down to 100 deg F, as fast as I can. I have been looking at plate exchangers to get an idea of area vs volume of wort, and am comming up with about 3750 sq inches or 66 ft. of 1 inch pipe for a similar area to a 7bbl HX. I know that I will need more than that, and was hoping that someone might be able to help with some of the loss factors. Obviously I will need to use the thinnest pipe I can, but I am looking to use stainless, not copper, because it will be unaccessible as the inner tube. I am thinking that this will be a series of strait pipes not a coil as homebrewers use, and my outer pipe will be stainless as well so i can fill a hot liquor tank.

I am expecting that this may not be acheivable, but was hoping that someone might be able to help me through this possibility.

Thanks
    Che'

How much is in the budget for this? Sounds like a lot of work! You'd be money ahead buying a plate HX that needs some work and refurbing it yourself.
    Nate Cornett
    Yellow Springs Brewery
    Yellow Springs, OH

Comment

Yeah i am sure you are right. I do have access to alot of free material and welding service. A friend is in the tubing field. But it wont be free I am sure. and not as cheap as a plate HX. However I am still interested in trying to get a design, and seeing if it is doable.

Also i am thinking that the real numbers I need to work are (in Deg F)
      Wort 100 to 65 (after I wirlpool and recirculate the whole kettle to 100)
      Water 56 to 180

I was trying to size this for a 7bbl system but I would assume that it could be scaled up or down just with simple multiplication or division?

My thinking on the 100 deg to 65 deg range is that I am recirculating on the first portion, and sized for the second half load it could handle the first half? Again a big assumption.

Thanks
      Che'

Comment

Working...
      X