X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pubbrewer
    replied
    Everbright Clear Coat for Copper

I too have a DME tank that has the clear coat, half of which is discolored. I would like to know the best way to strip all of it off.

I have had excellent result using these products to recoat the surface of many copper tanks

Instruction sheets and videos for the restoration and protection of metal with Everbrite Coating, ProtectaClear and CrobialCoat can be found here.

Leave a comment:

• Hofer
    replied
    How did you strip the clear coat you had and what did you repaint it with?

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
    The copper clad brewhouses I've worked on from DME maintain their beautiful shine for YEARS without any polishing. They use a clear coat of some kind. Just keep strong acids and volatile hydrocarbons away from the brewhouse. I've only used dish soap and a soft rag to keep them spotless and bright. On the other hand, I've worked on a brewhouse that had no such clear coat and it went ugly fast. We tried a clear spray "paint" with limited success. Needed to strip and repaint every 4-6 months. Must be a better product. Try contacting DME for their secret. Cheers!
    Hi Gitchegumee, how did you strip the clear coat you had and what did you repaint it with? Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• whitemarshbrew
    replied
    There is a polish called Bright Boy and nothing works better. Very easy to use and will polish copper in any condition.

Leave a comment:

• Hofer
    replied
    Originally posted by liammckenna View Post
    Perhaps we did not completely polish off the residue, Leo, but the next day, it was looking much worse than when we polished it the day before.

"Peek" is the product we currently use once every quarter year. Plus lots of elbow grease and a 10lb bag of rags. We once tried using a rotary car polishing unit (hand held). Not good. Unless you change the pads every five minutes, you run the risk of etching swirls in the copper.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam many thanks indeed.

Leave a comment:

• liammckenna
    replied
    Originally posted by Hofer View Post
    Hi Liam,

Our copper is very heavily soiled and tarnished. We need to clean it for the first time and consider TARN X, so what was disastrous with it?
    Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Leo

Libira Brewery,
    Haifa, Israel
    Perhaps we did not completely polish off the residue, Leo, but the next day, it was looking much worse than when we polished it the day before.

"Peek" is the product we currently use once every quarter year. Plus lots of elbow grease and a 10lb bag of rags. We once tried using a rotary car polishing unit (hand held). Not good. Unless you change the pads every five minutes, you run the risk of etching swirls in the copper.

Pax.

Liam

Leave a comment:

• Hofer
    replied
    TARN X for cleaning heavily soiled and tarnished copper?

Originally posted by liammckenna View Post
    ...TARNX (which was quite disastrous BTW).
    Hi Liam,

Our copper is very heavily soiled and tarnished. We need to clean it for the first time and consider TARN X, so what was disastrous with it?
    Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Leo

Libira Brewery,
    Haifa, Israel

Leave a comment:

• liammckenna
    replied
    Percarbonate like PBW for regular cleaning?

Non-oxidizing acids (phosphoric or hydrochoric or acetic) for heavy oxidation?

Never done it. We have a stainless cone inside the copper skin dome of ours.

Best guess.

Pax.

Liam

Leave a comment:

• gitchegumee
    replied
    What about the "onion dome" interior?

So, how does one clean the inside of a kettle that has a copper onion dome and a sprayball? Both acids and bases bode ill for the exposed copper.

Leave a comment:

• Scott M
    replied
    Like any finish, they have to be maintained. You don't buy a new car and wash and wax it once, you wash it once a week and wax every other wash.

If a polish and wax routine is applied, I see nothing wrong with waxing. Remember that caustics and acidic sterilants will strip the wax and reveal the bare copper to the elements in the brewery. If you have the time and personel to perform this non-brewing maintenance, go for it.

I think Brian Cofresi nailed it back in post #16, 7 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• BrewinLou
    replied
    I personally hate the look of clear coated copper in a high traffic area. It gets beat up and peels/chips off and that area tarnishes and the rest just looks polished. It is copper it does not need a finish.

Leave a comment:

• gitchegumee
    replied
    Why doesn't car wax appeal? Sounds perfectly legit to me. The electrophoresis sounds interesting, but I think a dunk tank the size of my brewhouse would be unrealistic. I'm a bit nervous about the varnish/laquer type coatings, as it seems that stripping and refinishing would be difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Scott M
    replied
    Don't think I would use car wax, but after the copper is polished you could coat it with lacquer to preserve the finish, like those described here http://www.electrophoretic.com/site/...d=13&Itemid=16.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight
    replied
    Car wax may work best but it sounds wrong!
    Perhaps you will be OK with the finishes available for stainless in commercial kitchens. It doesn't last as long as wax on a car, but is easy to reapply.
    It gives sort of a softer (almost wet-looking) shine, and it looks cool under dimmer lights.

Leave a comment:

• gitchegumee
    replied
    Any new techniques with restoring the luster of copper? I'm trying to find a way to protect the finish once I get it. After re-reading this thread, it sounds like car wax is the best clear-coat option. I'd really like to find a protective coating for shiny copper that keeps it from oxidizing. Any input is appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Sulfur
    replied
    Well, "pink" is better than purple! I've used some cleaners that unless they're completely rinsed, they turn the copper purple!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X