Yeast cropping and pitching question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast cropping and pitching question

I have a small 2bbl brewhouse and I am trying to make my life a little more efficient in terms of yeast use. I right now pull from the cone of my conicals and transfer onto next batch or save in a 5000ml glass beaker for cold storage until next batch. I am wondering when you crash the beer and pull the yeast from the conical, do you let primary happen and then crash to pull yeast or do you pull yeast and then crash after fermenting before transfer. I would also like to know how others store yeast and if you use a brink what process do you go through to reuse your pitch. thanks I am in need of perfecting the use of multiple generations. thanks

pro brewer library

Hello! A lot of great knowledge has been posted in the library section of the homepage, here is the direct link.

At our brewery we slowly crash the tanks down to 38*F. After sitting for a few days the yeast is ready to be cropped. We rarely store yeast, mainly crop day of brew into 1/6bbl. Pitching rate determined by weight and yeast slurry %. But all of this would depend on what strain of yeast you are using.

Hope this helps! Cheers

Comment

BSI has a ton of good info about harvesting, handling, etc. Here is what they suggest:

It is best to harvest yeast immediately after final gravity has been reached, before diacetyl rest. Even if it is kept very cold,
      yeast should not be stored in the cone or under beer. Finished beer is a nutrient-poor waste product to yeast, and forcing
      it to reside there will cause the viability to drop precipitously (over 50% within 48 hours), no matter how cold it is kept!

Here is a link to where I got that info, a killer PDF that will definitely help you out.

Comment

Working...
      X