Possible starch haze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible starch haze?

On my last brew day, my mash bed compacted (I solved this problem for the future). I noticed about 45 minutes into lautering. This has never happened to me before, in years of brewing.. I tried slicing it, and I still couldn't get anything to latter. So as a last resort, I broke up the mash bed. The wort became really cloudy. So, I let it sit for another hour or so to settle (150F). Still cloudy. I did an iodine test, and it shows that the starch has been converted. I'm pretty skeptical though, I think this beer could be toast. Two day in the fermenter, and its looks milky (not the way it normally looks in active fermentation). Even trying to to save it, I'm afraid its starch haze, and I'm going t have to dump and re-brew.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? What did you do?

Cheers,

Mike

Before you dump your beer, I would try adding some Clarity-Ferm.

It may not solve your issue completely, but it may salvage your beer.

Comment

It sounds as though you simply have a load of fine malt material. It's a bit of a pig to get out, but extended very cold conditioning, and use of auxiliary and isinglass finings on transfer to conditioning tank are likely to help. Having said that, if you are short of storage space and will lose sales as a result of tying stuff up for an extended time, it might simply be cheaper to dump and re-brew.
      dick

Comment

Thanks for the responses! I emailed WL about the Clarity Ferm.

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
        It sounds as though you simply have a load of fine malt material.
        What kind of time do you think? A couple weeks to a month? I might be able to swing that.
        Last edited by 604M; 02-20-2014, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X