Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABER: PerfectPitch

Hi,

I sat in on a talk at the CBC this year by Dan Strevey (of Avery Brewing) and he spoke about a mobile skid they have build to facilitate accurate cone-to-cone pitches. I happen to just come across the ABER website for their PerfectPitch skid which basically takes what Dan spoke about to the next level by including live yeast counts.

A few different Google searches later and there isn't much talk of the equipment online and I was just curious if anyone has any experience with the ABER PerfectPitch skid? Their Compact Yeast Analyser also sounds interesting as it does away with dilutions and the need for slides/cassettes.

Would love to hear any experiences people have with their equipment.

Cheers,
    Rob

In a 'previous life' we had a lot of Aber kit, both inline and benchtop. Always found it very good and the inline systems were very stable.

As I recall, it took a little time to get it set up well, but to be honest this was a good investment as it meant the systems would run quite happily without frequent attention; we just cross-checked the sensors against lab-prepared yeast slurries of known concentration, etc. on a monthly basis.

The bench units are also good; the one you show is, I think, a later version of the ones we had. As with all lab instruments, they needed to be kept clean and flushed well after use, but that's really just standard good practice!

Hope that helps.

Comment

Hi Rob,
      The skid is about 20.000Euros and it's going through trials at a midsize brewery in UK according to John from Aber Instruments. Skid has the compact yeast monitor and flowmeter for accurate viable yeast pitching. The lab monitor is about 10.000Euros and according to the Turkish distributor here it would make more sense to get the inline monitors because the main reason you would make this investment is to get rid of the lab work and the yeast brink dosing step. With the lab monitor, you would get viable cell concentrations in the lab but still have to dose the yeast correctly either with load cells(yeast brink) or with a coriolis flowmeter which is very expensive. Skid eliminates these steps.
      Cheers
      Bahadir

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Aber has sent through a PDF detailing the product, but I am awaiting to hear back from them on the fine details of the unit (price, availability, etc). I must admit the unit has me a bit excited as the benefits are pretty awesome. Sure, it's probably more expensive than the solution at Avery but for those looking for an out-of-the-box solution, this seems like it might be it.

Cheers

Comment

I agree, it's a very nice piece of hardware. I would ask them about how the trials went with the British Brewery. I wouldn't expect any problems because the yeast monitor they use on the skid has been in operation for quite a while now. But it's better to be certain before you make the purchase.

Please keep us posted.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Rob,
            Keep us up to date on what you find out. I really enjoyed Dans discussion at the CBC.
            Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Aber Perfectpitch yeast pitching module

Good to see the discussion on the Aber yeast Pitching skid. We are finally launching this at the Brewing Summit in June Chicago. The first unit has been at the Meantime brewery in London since January and the feedback has been very good. The unit shipped to Chicago will be available for testing straight after the show so let myself or Gusmer, our US Distributor know if you want to try it out. The concept of a yeast pitching skid with a Yeast Monitor was introduced by Alfa Laval 20 years ago and it was successful in some markets, particulary Japan. But many of the larger US and European breweries opted for a hard piped system using their own PLC and an existing flow meter or load cells. With the Craft breweries we expect to see a more flexible approach and the mobility of the skid, lower pricing compared to older systems and the general improvements with the Compact yeast Monitor will all enhance the new approach. Any feedback will be appreciated via this excellent forum.

Cheers
              John

Originally posted by Rob_ View Post
              Hi,

I sat in on a talk at the CBC this year by Dan Strevey (of Avery Brewing) and he spoke about a mobile skid they have build to facilitate accurate cone-to-cone pitches. I happen to just come across the ABER website for their PerfectPitch skid which basically takes what Dan spoke about to the next level by including live yeast counts.

A few different Google searches later and there isn't much talk of the equipment online and I was just curious if anyone has any experience with the ABER PerfectPitch skid? Their Compact Yeast Analyser also sounds interesting as it does away with dilutions and the need for slides/cassettes.

Would love to hear any experiences people have with their equipment.

Cheers,
              Rob

Comment

Aber

Very $$$$$+, this is for 50k-100k BBL breweries or larger
                The technology was developed by Boulton and Quain back in the 80's using bio-permitivity while they were at Bass.
                Aber makes something geared towards smaller breweries that's about $10k, but its used off-line....you may as well stain and count.
                Alex Postelnek, Lead Brewer
                Funky Buddha Brewery
                Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
                (561) 945 - 4584
                alex@funkybuddhabrewery.com

Comment

Aber PerfectPitch

Originally posted by CraftBeerIndia View Post
                  Very $$$$$+, this is for 50k-100k BBL breweries or larger
                  The technology was developed by Boulton and Quain back in the 80's using bio-permitivity while they were at Bass.
                  Aber makes something geared towards smaller breweries that's about $10k, but its used off-line....you may as well stain and count.
                  The lower size limit for the brewery is probably around 20K BBL but the technology is definitely geared towards breweries who want to invest in automation.
                  There is a neat article by Chris Crowell of Craft brewing Business on the Aber technology and the potential cost savings

Even the most diligent craft brewer has a high probability of over or underestimating their yeast cell count. To avoid, its time to add automation.

John

Comment

Hello!! Can anybody share their experiences calibrating the perfectpitch from Aber? Is it necessary to calculate the %Live Spun Solids? Or can I work directly with the live cell/ml concentration?

Thank you!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X