malt extract difference fine coarse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• malt extract difference fine coarse

HI to everyone, can u pls exaplain me what malt extract difference fine coarse mean? tx for all ur advices and help
    best regards
    DANNKEN

FG/CG diff

Fine grind represents the max. amount of extract that would be obtained in a lab. Coarse grind is the max. amount you would get with the typical grind most brewers use, if your efficiency was 100%. The difference should be less than 1.5%, higher numbers can indicate under modified malt. Here in North America, that is rarely seen. Check with your malt supplier for more info. on deciphering malt analysis....

Cheers!
    Paul Thomas
    Brewer
    Sockeye Brewing
    www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Agree with pbutlert

I agree with the comment by pbutlert. It is a way for the lab or brewer to assess whether or not the milling conditions are optimal. Unless you want stuck mashes you would never go to a fine grind (basically flour with no husks for filtration) in the brewhouse itself. The ratio FG/CG just gives you the goods on what you could attain as a theoretical 100% efficiency vs. the optimal brewhouse efficiency.

Comment

Modification

The difference between the two was used earlier as a method for determining how well modified malt was (i.e. the extent the cytolytic processes were allowed to work during malting). It is not used much anymore, and in fact has been taken out of the European analysis methods for determining malt quality, because measuring the viscosity, among other things, is much more accurate. The difference between the two is supposed to be low, because if it's not, then the malt still contains lots of the cellular framework which should have been broken down during malting.

Comment

extract difference fine coarse mean

Originally posted by Dannken
          HI to everyone, can u pls exaplain me what malt extract difference fine coarse mean? tx for all ur advices and help
          best regards
          Extract fine and extract coarse are separately got by elaborate and different standard (ASBC, EBC, IOB) procedures.
          This is one of the indexes for malt modification.
          The most characteristic one for the modification is the percentage of soluble nitrogen of whole nitrogen, or Kolbach index.
          The extent of malt modification is not an absolute merit i.e. the higher the better. Beer style -> mash procedure -> malt (specification) is a proper way of decision making.

Leonid

Comment

FG/CG and efficiency

Originally posted by GarySped
            I agree with the comment by pbutlert. It is a way for the lab or brewer to assess whether or not the milling conditions are optimal. Unless you want stuck mashes you would never go to a fine grind (basically flour with no husks for filtration) in the brewhouse itself. The ratio FG/CG just gives you the goods on what you could attain as a theoretical 100% efficiency vs. the optimal brewhouse efficiency.
            FG/CG is an index for malt modification. FG alone is a base for calculating the efficiency. 100% efficiency is not a theoretical but just standard, for congress mashing. Efficiency of more than 100% are known in the industry.

Leonid

Comment

Efficiency of more than 100% are known in the industry.
              Uhmmmm...how is this possible?
              "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Originally posted by RobZamites
                Mash Fliters
                Scott Isham
                Harper's Brewpub

Comment

More than 100% mash efficiency

Originally posted by RobZamites
                  Meura 2001 - mash filter, gives 102-106%. But regular MT and LT also give up to 99%.

Leonid

Comment

Originally posted by Hofer
                    Meura 2001 - mash filter, gives 102-106%. But regular MT and LT also give up to 99%.

Leonid
                    Meura 2001 Mash Filter
                    Meura has a full line of high-tech brewing tools from wet milling to Yeast Propagation.
                    Cheers & I'm out!
                    David R. Pierce
                    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                    POB 343
                    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
                    X