Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mashing Without a False Bottom

Hello,

I was looking at some of the ProBrewer Classifieds and saw this comment in one of the brewhouse ads:

I do the mashing without the false bottom, when finished mashing, the mash is pumped to the brew kettle and then the false bottom installed for fast and efficient lautering.
    Just curious if anyone else does this and what is the advantage (if there is one) over mashing with a false bottom and lautering by recirculating the wort through the grain bed and false bottom?

Thanks!

It sounds as though he is using the mash tun as a mash conversion vessel, possibly heating up to different temperatures for optimal enzyme activity, and then using the kettle as a holding vessel whilst he puts the plates in and retransfers before lautering. Most modern malts don't need rising temperature infusion mashes, because actually there is virtually no proteolytic enzyme activity left after kilning, so he may be wasting time and effort, but of course, we don't know about his malt, so it may be necessary. If you were to brew ales with it using pale ale malts, then you would be wasting time and effort, and probably a fair bit of thermal energy, and potentially creating runoff problems. So if I was only brewing ales, I would stick to mashing in, converting and running off all in the same mash/lauter tun. Actually, having brewed a fair few lagers using isothermal mashes, providing suitable malt is used, I would use the simple process for lagers as well.
    dick

Comment

Working...
    X