X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repitching fermenting wort

Originally posted by Rosie
    I have transferred the beer to sanitised Cornies, so planning on this:
    I'm brewing 7hl of beer and planning to taking 2 cornies (approx .4hl) of fermenting beer to transfer onto, ...What do you think?
    Cheers,
    I would take twice more. First of all, more is not less; generally it is better to overpitch than underpitch.
    There are more detailed considerations based on Kunze. This method of pitching fermenting wort is called Back's Assimilation. Fermenting wort in logarithmic phase has about 100-120 millions cells per ml. Usually your target is about 30 millions cells per ml for lager and about half of that for ales. IF your wort indeed in log phase you need a half of usual amount means 1:8 for lager and 1:16 for ales. Your shoot...
    BTW, this method has many advantages on usual yeast slurry pitching. Also you can combine two methods (50/50). You can use fresh fermenting wort almost indefinitely, but IMHO not with dry yeast.
    Don't forget to level the temperatures of two worts: it is important, as proper aeration.
    And I think you shouldn't ferment at elevated temperatures: one of advantages of the method is eliminating of lag phase.

Cheers

Leonid
    Last edited by Hofer; 11-10-2006, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Murphy
      Its unfortunate your in that part of the world where there isnt access to yeast labs, you could have it shipped but it would be very expensive. I dont like to use dry yeasts, you may try a wyeast BOP smack pack and use wort to step them up. If you pitch right and brew frequently you can get many generations out of them.

Try out Wyeast, ask them how much to ship a slurry? you'll taste the differnece
      There is no difficulty at all in that part of the world to get any amount of WY or WL: you can get 10 different yeasts for the cost of s/h $5 USPS Flat Rate Small Envelope. And for $10 (the Large Envelope) you just get a Yeast Ranch!
      You just should know ranching!

Leonid

Comment

yeast ranching

I don't know. What is yeast ranching?

Comment

Originally posted by Hofer
          There is no difficulty at all in that part of the world to get any amount of WY or WL: you can get 10 different yeasts for the cost of s/h $5 USPS Flat Rate Small Envelope. And for $10 (the Large Envelope) you just get a Yeast Ranch!
          You just should know ranching!

Leonid
          It is a little more difficult than getting it in Europe or the USA, where many homebrew suppliers sell the smack packs your refering to, I doubt there is a homebrew shop in Gaza, perhaps there is but I doubt it. Plus the heat that is in the region, Im not sure but the mail could take a little longer, and the smack packs could arrive in bad condition, Of course he could have a 10lt slurry sent direct by Wyeast and pitch directly, that would be the best solution, but the brewer in Isreal would have to be able to safely harvest and repitch quite a few times to make it worth the money spent on getting the fresh slurry.

By Yeast Ranching you mean propagation, I know how to propagate, I used to have the same problem as David, Brewing in Rome, i didnt have the budget to buy fresh pitchable amounts of yeast, I had to get smack packs and step them up a few times, and due to the slow mail in italy and the heat, I frequently had smack packs that didnt work out.

David's problem is compounded by the fact he wants to use certified Kosher Yeast which limits his selections.
          www.Lervig.no

Comment

Yeast ranching and more

[QUOTE=Michael Murphy[/QUOTE]

Gaza is not in Israel.
            I live in Haifa and WY packs get perfectly well there. Yeast culturing and propagating are a challenge and a way of managing independent microbrewery. It definitely doesn't have less sense than repitching dry yeast which IMHO doesn't have sense at all.
            Kosher? "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Leonid

Comment

Sorry guys - I'm traveling in the US so I haven't been checking my emails as regularly as usual.

Leonid - what you'll find when you step up to commercial-sized batches is that many brewers appreciate the convenience of ordering a pitchable quantity of slurry directly from the lab. No fuss, no mess and most importantly, you don't need the 7-10 days of advance planning like when you're stepping up from a smack pack. Pitchable quantities for a 10 bbl batch are extremely difficult/expensive to get here for all the reasons that Mike mentioned. Here in Israel these difficulties are compounded by the fact that our health ministry requires that you obtain an import license and approval of the lab in order to bring them in. That's obviously not an issue you're facing in bringing in smack packs.

As to the Spanish Inquisition - I'm a huge fan of Monty Python but I still don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Cheers (from NJ)

David
              David Cohen
              The Dancing Camel Brewing Co. Ltd.

Comment

David,

Reminder to the clue: you started the thread having problems with not flocculating originally dry yeast. Dry yeast are only good for two things: convenience and high pitching rates. The practice of repitching dry yeast looks to me rather controversial. Yes, I do know that many good people made it. But you endanger 10BBL batch for a couple of $$$ less convenience.
                And if you inconveniently repitch why don't you repitch the real thing?
                It could be that I underestimate the local bureaucracy but you need the same amount of papers to bring in dry yeast as liquid yeast.
                Please see

where a lot of good people start their multi-BBL batches from a single vial or pack.

Leonid

Comment

Thanks for the input guys...after talking to a couple other people and with your advice I pitched double what I originally thought, .8 hl into the 7 hl of fresh wort and the beer took off and is fermenting normally...

Cheers,
                  Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
                  Chairman of the Beer
                  Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
                  Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
                  W: www.lovibonds.com
                  F: LovibondsBrewery
                  T: @Lovibonds

Comment

yeast in the Middle East

Originally posted by Michael Murphy
                    It is a little more difficult than getting it in Europe or the USA, where many homebrew suppliers sell the smack packs your refering to, I doubt there is a homebrew shop in Gaza, perhaps there is but I doubt it. Plus the heat that is in the region, Im not sure but the mail could take a little longer, and the smack packs could arrive in bad condition, Of course he could have a 10lt slurry sent direct by Wyeast and pitch directly, that would be the best solution, but the brewer in Isreal would have to be able to safely harvest and repitch quite a few times to make it worth the money spent on getting the fresh slurry.

By Yeast Ranching you mean propagation, I know how to propagate, I used to have the same problem as David, Brewing in Rome, i didnt have the budget to buy fresh pitchable amounts of yeast, I had to get smack packs and step them up a few times, and due to the slow mail in italy and the heat, I frequently had smack packs that didnt work out.

David's problem is compounded by the fact he wants to use certified Kosher Yeast which limits his selections.
                    well,
                    there might not be brewing supply shops in Gaza but there is a relatively well modernized (and cheap) mail service in Israel.
                    I buy White Lab. yeast constantly and manage them easily.
                    heat is also not a problem if you use refrigerators

the problem with yeast either ADY or "Liquid" is that managing and repitching requires decent QC.
                    I'm a biologist with a lab access so I have the ability to to that.
                    to the less trained, budget brewer I think ADY is a decent compromise.
                    cheers,
                    Alon
                    Schrodinger's Cat

Comment

Also,
                      I wouldn't expect the us56 to floc until fermentation is finished. if it is you are selecting for yeast that don't fully attenuate
                      Larry Horwitz

Comment

Working...
                      X