Sulphur dioxide burnt match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulphur dioxide burnt match

Hello. I need help. Not in every batch i get these sulphur burnt match smell, it is very unpleasant. It is not hidrogen sulphite rotten egg smell... And it wont go away if i flushed beer with co2. Even long bottle conditioning doesnt help. Usually appears after bottling. I assuming infection or yeast stress, but i am really carefull with yeast. Us 05 500g sprinkled in chilled wort 1.045 OG. If is an infection i want to know what kind of bacteria cause it? Thanks

I, and a good (still brewing) commercial brewer friend of mine both think that it is, in spite of your comments, most likely to be mainly H2S. So, possibly causes. Providing your cleaning is OK, then high temperatures (over 20 C) and high calcium sulphate levels produce a H2S - as commonly found in ales from Burton on Trent (the so called Burton snatch). So a reduction in gypsum addition, or treatment to remove high levels of gypsum may help. You could try throwing in some copper piping into the whirlpool / hopback or even in the FV, as this often helps. You could also try zetilite from Murphys in Nottingham UK.

If you wort cooling / transfer system is not cleaned effectively and you have trub left in the heat exchanger, or if your pipework is oversized and isn't being cleaned at 2 metres / second for good turbulent flow, preferably in reverse direction, infection can build up. You may have zymomonas infection - converts sugars (not maltose) to acetaldehyde and hydrogen sulphide. Anaerobic – lives without O2. The beer looks cloudy. Causes green apple and rotten eggs aroma.

If you leave the beer on the yeast at high temperature, the yeast will start to autolyse and produce these sorts of smells.

Are you starting the dried yeast off fresh every time, or are you repitching? If repitching, are you aerating adequately?

dick

Comment

Thanks for advices. I cleaning heat exchanger and pipes regulary with caustic just after cleaning fermenter and then flushed with water. Fermenter sterilizing with Peracid. Always pitched fresh dry yeast and dont aerate. Water is build from reverse osmosis and usually get these off flavour in light beers with soft water profile. Is problem maybe in a blow off tube? Its small hose cca 6mm inner diameter. The problem happen in a bottle, cca one week after bottling. Couple of years ago when didnt have pressurized fermenters the h2s occour in fermenter and went away with secondary fermentation in keykegs. In general all my beers improved after secondary fermentation. There is more pronounced and clean aroma and flavour regardles to force carbonation what i do now. Now i get more yeasty beer... When i was a homebrewer i didnt have these problems... Now i want to try priming in unitank to see results. Maybe is problem realy in small diameter blowoff tube...?

Comment

Didnt try with copper, I saw your post little late will try in next brew.

Comment

Now i figured that i have problem just with bottled beer, no with kegs. I have a counter pressure filler, always clean and sanitised. Is it possible that PAA react with coil spring in bottle sanitiser? Bottle sanitiser is clasic for homebrew use. But instead of starsan i use PAA. Or some kind of yeast stress while bottling? Fast pressure drop before capping? Manufacturer of filler recommended fermenter pressure of 2 bar. The counter pressure is cca 1,7 bar.

Comment

Working...
          X