Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbonation and mixed gases (CO2/Nitrogen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonation and mixed gases (CO2/Nitrogen)

Hi,
    There are plenty of resources available on the internet to calculate dissolved CO2 based on the pressure and temperature in the tanks. But what about if you are using mixed gas (I use 30/70 CO2, Nitrogen)?
    For example head pressure of 70kPa at 1C would give me 2.58 volumes of CO2, for pure CO2. How high could the pressure be with the 30/70 mix before I start adding CO2 to the beer? Does anyone have a handle on this or can point me in a direction where I can find the information?
    Peter

Brewers Association has a publication with all the formula's you need...Draught-Beer-Quality-Manual-2019.pdf
    Not sure why you're trying to push regular beer with a nitro gas blend?

Comment

Hi, I found the formula in the Draught-Beer-Quality-Manual-2019.pdf, but even better still a reference to Easy Blend, a smart phone app from mcdantim. Very useful!

Btw, I have quite large fermenters / unitanks and tend to bottle and keg in small batches aas we don't have a lot of storage space for finished product. In the meantime the beer is stored cold in the tanks with a pressure suitable to feed our bottler. Pure CO2 would make the beer to gassy.
      Peter

Comment

Working...
      X