Barleywine over attenuation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barleywine over attenuation

Hi Forumers, I decided to use a new yeast for my barelywine this year and it is grossly over attenuated. Any ideas on how to back sweeten/ build body to this beer that is already out of primary fermetation?

Thanks,
    Ken

Hello, I work at Fermentis and would love to connect you with one of our experts if you respond with a bit more detail about your problem. Thank you.

Comment

Not too much else to say. I used Frementis HA-18, had a mash rest temp of 65 C and the beer fully attenuated to 0 P.
      Ken

Comment

I used to brew an 11% barley wine, admittedly with a fair bit of sugar adjunct. But due to needing a very thick mash to get all the malt in, we also had to raise our mash temperature by 2 or 3 deg C over normal say 4% beers. This is because a thick mash somehow helps reduce enzyme degradation rates. So I suspect you may simply have got a larger proportion of simple (fermentable) sugars, and somewhat fewer complex (unfermentable, but body enhancing) sugars. So next time, I suggest you aim for a higher mash temperature - say 3 or 4 degrees F / 2 deg C higher than you used for this brew.

Not sure what the flavour would be like if you now added some lactose to increase the body. If you do add it, don't forget to add this to the labelling so anyone lactose intolerant has the opportunity to read and (unfortunately for your income) not buy. You would need to carry out small scale tasting trials first.
        dick

Comment

Fermentis will be able to give you more detailed information as far as what to expect based on your OG and mash profile, but HA-18 contains glucoamylase, so you've kinda nuked the unfermentable portion of your beer. Adding back anything other than lactose will likely to be broken down, and unfortunately I doubt you'll get anywhere near the body you're looking for before it gets too slick. But again, I'd chat with Fermentis and see what they have to say.

Comment

Working...
          X