Question for NYS Farm Breweries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for NYS Farm Breweries

We're in the process of switching from a Restaurant Brewer license to a dual Farm/Microbrewery license. Obviously this will require significantly increasing the quantity of NYS ingredients we're using. I've noticed, however, that many farm breweries have a similar flavor on the finish that I'm not a fan of; I have a difficult time describing it, but it's sort of this grassy twang that I don't really care for. Not all farm breweries have it (quite to the contrary, I've had a lot of great NYS farm brewery beer), but a significant enough percentage do such that my working hypothesis is that it's from NYS malt.

So, my questions for those of you with much more experience than I with NYS ingredients:
    1. Do you have any more insight into what it is I'm tasting/what its source is?
    2. How can this flavor be minimized?
    3. Possibly related to (2), do you have suggestions for high-quality NYS malt and hop providers?
    Any insight anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure how to help on 1 & 2...I haven't noticed this in our beers or other farm breweries around here but I have lots of great sources for NYS Malt/Hop providers.

New York Craft Malt is fantastic (though you do have to lower your expected efficiency a touch...not quite as efficient on their base malts). They have a little bit of everything for specialty malts, and they're all great.

Country Malt Group has NY Grown 2-row and pilsner that are great (and efficient).

New York Hop Guild is great...they have some advanced hop products (Hopsauce) now...They also have some proprietary hop blends that we love. We use Excelsior blend in our flagship IPA.

Alta Vista Farm has excellent hops, as well!

Haven't used them personally but have had beers with their malts in them and Hudson Valley Malt seems like they know what they're doing, also.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
    X