Last runnings Limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last runnings Limit

Hey guys! Just a question. At what plato do you stop collecting last runnings from lautering and why?

Thanks for your time

Trawl through PB and you will find a number of response on this topic. Most people seem to go for 4 SG / 1 plato, as the absolute bottom line. Large brewers will go lower than that very often but no lower than 2 SG, 0.5 P, but may well be adding sugar to make up for the gravity and will be saving the worts below 4 to 6 SG for use in the next brew, as part of the mashing in liquor.

In a micro, often the decision is made simply by the gravity you want the wort to be at at start of boil and more to the point at start of fermentation. If you are brewing an 8 or 10% ABV beer, then you will have to cut off earlier than if brewing say a 4% ABV beer unless adding sugar in some form. There is no point saving a few cents of extract to waste that by additional energy costs to boil off the excess water.
    dick

Comment

I'm between 2-3 Plato for a 12 Plato beer as long as the pH is below about 5.7. Adjust sparge volume so that you end with very little last runnings. That also helps maximize sugar recovery.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I'm between 2-3 Plato for a 12 Plato beer as long as the pH is below about 5.7. Adjust sparge volume so that you end with very little last runnings. That also helps maximize sugar recovery.
        Yep yep yep. pH is probably the more important of the two, and using just enough sparge water every time will help you get you the best, most repeatable extract efficiency.

Comment

Thanks everyone,

In our micro I use to cut last runnings at about 4 plato with acidified sparge water that makes the last runnings stay at a maximum of 5,50ph. For us it's not a huge loss for the process. If it's not 91% its something like 90% efficiency.

I been told that going deep in the last runnings could lead to astringent flavor.

Comment

Working...
          X