Nitro Beers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitro Beers

Can I carb a nitro beer the same way I would with CO2? Just push N2 through my airstone until a certain psi is met? Should I add some CO2 as well, like 1.5 - 2.0 vol CO2.

I'm trying to figure out how to get that N2 cascade when you pour a pint without having an inline infuser and only have a carb stone.

Bueller.......Bueller.......Bueller......

Comment

Search brotha, search....

Multiple threads on the subject.....

......seek and ye shall find

Comment

Originally posted by Alphaacid View Post
        Can I carb a nitro beer the same way I would with CO2? Just push N2 through my airstone until a certain psi is met? Should I add some CO2 as well, like 1.5 - 2.0 vol CO2.

I'm trying to figure out how to get that N2 cascade when you pour a pint without having an inline infuser and only have a carb stone.
        No. N2 is 89x less soluble than CO2. You need more head pressure in your BBT than it can hold. People that make Nitro beers either have it in a specific BBT for nitro beers (I think Founders has a 6 ft wide 30 ft tall tank for their nitro beers. You can also do it in kegs, which is what we do since kegs hold up to 60 PSI. Hope this helps.
        Peter Cronin
        Senior Quality Analyst
        AleSmith Brewing Company

Comment

Originally posted by PCQC View Post
          No. N2 is 89x less soluble than CO2. You need more head pressure in your BBT than it can hold. People that make Nitro beers either have it in a specific BBT for nitro beers (I think Founders has a 6 ft wide 30 ft tall tank for their nitro beers. You can also do it in kegs, which is what we do since kegs hold up to 60 PSI. Hope this helps.
          The other option is to use an inline nitrogenator. You can use your current brite, carb up to to 1.2-1.5 then dose with the nitrogenator as you are filling the kegs. I think you can even use flat beer and inject Co2 at the same time. If you are doing short runs of nitro kegs just dosing the keg is a good way. If you want to do larger keg runs the nitrogenator is a good solution.
          Last edited by Buckley; 03-14-2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X