Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another kettle sour question: HX clogging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another kettle sour question: HX clogging?

I feel stupid for not even thinking about this, but we attempted our first kettle sour this week and the actual souring part worked fantastically well; however, we brought it up to a quick boil and ended up clogging our HX while trying to re-circ through the whirlpool inlet w/ what I'm assuming is protein?

Could we have avoided this by simply heating to 180F to pasteurize before cooling? Any other tips/tricks we're overlooking?

Are you recirculating through the hx? I would bring to a boil, use whatever fining - (whirlfloc for me - 10 minute boil) - you use, whirlpool for twenty, rest for twenty, hx to fermentor. Basically, treat it as any boiled wort. The recirc through the hx could help bring main temp down quickly, but maybe go through a hopback or some kind of strainer to catch the proteins after the whirlpool. Recirculation into the kettle without resting will always leave 'floaters'.
    You probably already know all this, just seeing if I can help.

Comment

Are you recirculating through the hx? I would bring to a boil, use whatever fining - (whirlfloc for me - 10 minute boil) - you use, whirlpool for twenty, rest for twenty, hx to fermentor. Basically, treat it as any boiled wort. The recirc through the hx could help bring main temp down quickly, but maybe go through a hopback or some kind of strainer to catch the proteins after the whirlpool. Recirculation into the kettle without resting will always leave 'floaters'.
      You probably already know all this, just seeing if I can help.
      No thanks that still helps. We were trying to avoid sending it to a fermentor for one because we didn't have one open yet, and two the extra cleaning/sanitation involved.

The strainer/hopback idea is what first came to mind though. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a hopback anyways, so maybe this is the excuse I finally need! I was really just curious what everybody else was doing.

Comment

Working...
      X