Double mash days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double mash days

A while back there was a thread about doing a 1/2 batch on one day, mashing in, running off and waiting until the next day to boil. Although I don't like this practice, several people have said this has ruined the beer. HJow and why?

Double batch

jsvoboda,

I have never heard of the procedure you are discribing. It is common practice to brew two full batches into one fermentor. The first batch is brewed and pitched into a fermentor capable of holding two batches, then a second batch is brewed on day two. It is important to pitch and aerate only in the first brew.

Good luck
    Graydon

Oh leaving wort over night can cuase a huge number of problems!

Comment

Originally posted by jsvoboda
      A while back there was a thread about doing a 1/2 batch on one day, mashing in, running off and waiting until the next day to boil. Although I don't like this practice, several people have said this has ruined the beer. HJow and why?

it will alow latic acid to take over the wort. thus ruining the beer...(i have tried this)
      www.Lervig.no

Comment

storing wort until boil...

what about doing a huge mash, sending the runnings into a holding tank, and then boiling half of those runnings for one beer... knocking out... and then boiling the second half of the runnings for a second beer? are there any known cautionary tales upon such an endeavor? how long might one store 150 degree wort before boiling...

Comment

wort over night

I can boil the wort for a few minutes, this should kill any acid forming bacteria then come back 12 hours later and finish it. What about that? I've done this a few times and not seen any ill effects. Only thing that disturbed me was grey scum on top of wort. Protein gum I think.

Comment

I had a kettle burner go out on me on an english bitter before I got up to boil. I pumped the wort into the hot liquor tank and kept it at 180 overnight. When we couldn't fix the burner the next day we briefly brought it up to boil in HLT and transferred back to kettle and whirlpooled with the hops. Far from ideal but it was a fantastic beer I have never tried to reproduce.
            Jeff
            Jeff Byrne

Comment

Hello All,

I've had to do just as Jeff has. Pass the wort to the HLT for boiling, then back the kettle for WP and knockout. Unfortunately we had to do this more than once. Finicky kettle burners! Once it was all in one day, the other time we left the wort in the HLT overnight. The resulting beers were both OK.

At another brewery we had steam to both the kettle and the HLT, so when the boiler went out we had no choice but to wait until the next day to boil. I was definitely concerned about bacterial spoiling of the wort, not only lactic, but enteric, and any other of a host of thermo-bacters, but in the well insulated kettle the wort never dropped below 150*F. Again, the beer was OK.

I can easily image it could have gone the other way. I would recommend against doing such things intentionally as a matter of procedure. I would only do it in case of emergency or equipment failure. And monitor the resulting beer very carefully for ill effects!

Cheers,
              Ron
              Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Providing the wort is sterilised and then kept hot this shouldn't give many problems except for excess colour development if you are producing a pale beer, and cleaning the hot liquor tank again, where this option was required. Ensure the HLT is cleaned out thoroughly as soon as you can. One fortunate by product of this process MAY be, and I say may be, because I have never tried it, but you may get clearer beers, with less protein haze, albeit perhaps with a slight loss of foam retention - any commetns ?
                dick

Comment

Well, I've brewed a barleywine on day, and put the second runnings into a sanitized fermenter for overnight storage, brought it over to the kettle the next morning for a typical 90 minute boil (and a super-short brew day!), and it's the clearest beer I've ever made.

I don't filter anything here. Oh, and I dumped the sediment from the cone before bringing it back over.

Cheers,
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X